Full circle with the R1200GS

STOC #
Well, I may have gone full circle with my BMW R1200GS. I bought it 18 months ago after having owned an ST for one season. Last fall, I bought a second bike, a 2007 BMW R1200R. This bike is a blast to ride and made me realize I prefer a sportier seating position and a lower center of gravity. For that reason, I am thinking of selling the GS and acquiring a sport-tourer again. I am eying the RT but I wonder whether I should consider the ST or maybe even a GWing. With the R, the touring bike will be to get out of town, quickly and far.

I sold my ST 18 months ago because I didn't like the weaving action of the front wheel, even at low hiway speeds. I know some people thinks this is just imagination but having ridden a GS and now an R, I am absolutely certain the ST was not as planted and didn't have the secure feel of the BMW's. So now, here's my question. Has Honda done anything to the ST to alleviate or correct the situation? I suppose it would be in hiding. So has there been any report that the newer 07 or 08 do not experience such front wheel imbalance?

Any thoughts, feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bike
2006 ST1300
I cannot attest to anything Honda has done or differences in the various models (have only owned the 06 ST) but I do not experiance any weave/wobble at or above highway speed.

Now I have only been to 100 on it but at those speeds it felt solid and I was confident in the bike.

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
There isn't anything new... but I would suggest adjusting the suspension would probably fix any weave.

Tom de

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I sold my ST 18 months ago because I didn't like the weaving action of the front wheel, even at low hiway speeds. I know some people thinks this is just imagination but having ridden a GS and now an R, I am absolutely certain the ST was not as planted and didn't have the secure feel of the BMW's. So now, here's my question. Has Honda done anything to the ST to alleviate or correct the situation? I suppose it would be in hiding. So has there been any report that the newer 07 or 08 do not experience such front wheel imbalance?

Any thoughts, feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,
I rode a fellow's ST-Owners 1300 and it was rock solid. Mine, with the same set up, was not quite as stable. So it seems like there are differences from bike to bike.

I've since let a local suspension tuner upgrade the front and rear suspension (+ tapered fork bearing) and I couldn't be happier.

It is now very stable at highway speed (I used to hate slabbing, I almost enjoy it now!), and around semis.

But beside the improvement in stability I was looking for, the suspension upgrade surprised me with other great benefits, specially from the front end. No more deep nose dive under braking. Don't ask me how this is achieved, I have no idea, but the difference is incredible. Before, coming too hot in a turn was quite an adventure: hitting the brakes hard before a turn would give you the impression to burry the headlights in the ground and you would then enter the turn with a bike that was not stabilized. This is gone. There is very little diving anymore under braking.

You would think that because there is less nose dive, that the upgraded front would be stiffer and harsher, but (and I don't quite understand it) this is quite the opposite: the front feels quite smoother.

Also unexpected (to me at least) was quite an improvement at low speed maneuvering.

Big difference also in turns, where the bike doesn't get upset anymore when hitting bumps mid-turn. And better pegs clearance too.

And there is no comparison either between the OEM shock and the upgraded one with stronger spring.

In summary, if I was buying a new ST today, stable or not, my first trip would be to the tuner anyway!

Last edited:
My experience has been that there is relative instability with my 03 ST. By comparison, no matter what I do to my 919, no matter where I carry a load, with or without windscreen, almost regardless of suspension set up (albeit too soft damping feels squishy) the bike is stable AND nimble. I have toured with it loaded with heavy high loads and a badly cupped front tire and it is relatively stable, even in turbulance on the slab ways. The ST is almost the polar opposite. I have to be very careful that my suspension is set up right, tire pressure is consistent, load is distributed well, and I still experience at least some instability, especially in turbulant air. But, with my ST, the faster I go, the more stable it is, not the opposite, conditions under which some have complained. At 90, the thing's a train. At 65, I am all over the place. So, I ride fast.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
My wife a has a R1200C and a R1200RT. I ride them both as well as the St1300. I do not feal any weaving on the ST. All bikes track stright on the highway. They all have there own character. None are bad.

Top Bottom