FZ-07

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I'm thinking of geting a smaller bike for day trips. The ST is a bit much for how I actually use the bike. I love my XT225, but it is slightly too slow to keep up with the big boys on anything but the twisties. My riding biddies don't want me to take it because they are afraid I will slow them down.

I went to look at a FZ-07 today. Loved the diminutive size and light weight. 400 pounds wet. Low seat height. It really didn't feel any bigger than my XT. There is a Madstad windshield available for it. I would have to do something about the bars, but a combination of Phoenix bar risers and Renthal road high bars would probably fix it. A Russell Sport saddle would take care of seat comfort.

The only fly in the ointment is the height of the footpegs. They are pretty high. I don't know how I would do after 3-4 hours. I can get a peg lowering kit that will lower it 2 inches. For those familiar with bikes like this, will that be enough? Is it something that you get used to?

http://www.whaccessories.com/Foot-Peg-Lowering-Kit-Yamaha.htm

I plan on keeping the ST, but might let go of the XT225 as they serve the same function.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've heard the FZ-07 suspension from the factory isn't all that great so a lot of people mod them to make them better, but spend $$$$ in the process. I think the FZ-09 may be a bit better in that regard (and may also have more leg room stock) and has a more gutzy engine as well. Haven't compared them price-wise.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
It just occured to me that If I got a RDL instead of Russell sport, that would raise me up an inch and 1/2. The effective lowering would then be 3 1/2 inches. Certainly that would be enough. I need to make sure it doesn't raise the bike too much. I've been reading the reviews of this bike, and I think the stock suspension and power would be fine for me. I'm just after a lightweight bike that has 650cc power.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
A lot of guys (journalists) like this bike - it's supposed to be really fun to ride. The one place it gets dinged is the suspension, but that can be fixed. You may only need fork springs and a shock. There's also the XSR700 which is the same bike with more retro styling. I would also consider the Versys and new SV650.

Bike
VStrom 650
Just my 2c, but if you're gonna change, seat, bars, pegs, suspension, weather protection and maybe some more, then this is the wrong bike.
I would get out and sit on a few bikes and find one that fits better, the riding triangle has got be right before anything else.
I am resisting in suggesting other options ( boy it's hard ) because there's no point, it has to feel right to you. Yes the new Yams are great bikes the 700 and the 900 but I know I would feel like a round of beef on a Tom Tit sitting on one.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I'd give the Kawasaki Versys 650 a hard look.
I'm also looking at a smaller bike and the Verysys keeps coming up as a great choice.
I totally agree with fnmag. I have had a few ST’s and a few Gold Wings. I just sold my last Gold Wing, #7, and bought a 2016 Versys 650LT. OMG, I couldn’t be happier. What a great bike. Easy to handle, light weight, and you can cruise all day long at 70 and still average 55-60 mpg.

I thought I would miss my Wing NOT. I haven’t looked back and know I made a wise decision.

Take a look at them, you’ll be surprised. A few very late model ones on Versys forum selling at a great price.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I totally agree with fnmag. I have had a few ST’s and a few Gold Wings. I just sold my last Gold Wing, #7, and bought a 2016 Versys 650LT. OMG, I couldn’t be happier. What a great bike. Easy to handle, light weight, and you can cruise all day long at 70 and still average 55-60 mpg.

I thought I would miss my Wing NOT. I haven’t looked back and know I made a wise decision.

Take a look at them, you’ll be surprised. A few very late model ones on Versys forum selling at a great price.
Gary,

Get rid of your Roll a Home? Now a tent camper or motel-ler??? :)

Tom

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I'm not ready to give up my ST yet. I was looking for something to bridge the gap between the XT225 and the ST1100. I should probably give my ST a little more time, and when I'm ready to let go, get a Versys, or something similar. The FZ would be great to bridge the gap, but I would have to do major surgery on the front to get the bars back far enough. Insanely light and powerful with ABS Madstad and Day Long seat. I could do it, but I would probably need to get longer clutch and brake lines, longer throttle cable, and would probably have to splice wires for the turnsignals, kill switch, brake lights and turn signals. I did all that for my old Nighthawk, but it was already more than 20 years old. i really don't want to do that on a brand new bike. In the meantime, I've been doing my twice daily crunches and push-ups so I can get a little more time on the ST. It would have been a great 650 comfort bike. Maybe when they are a few years old and half the price.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Try sitting on a CB1100. Several of us on this board have the CB to go along with their ST's...myself, Bamarider, and popgun come to mind. You can get a left over 14 model really cheap, and trust me, they are great bikes. Anyway, doesn't hurt to go sit on one.

Top Bottom