Gambled on my battery this year and won ...

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
Gambled on my battery this year and won ...

My battery is the original Yuasa on my 05 ST13 and it now has 129k on it ... I don't think I'll push it for next years trips tho. Voltage is still showing 12.8volts at rest !

I have never removed it form the bike, only put it on the tender in the cold months. It has sat out in the unheated and garage over winters with only the tender and the other bikes to keep it company :D

Time to find a new one !

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I had really good luck with my original Yuasa too. I doubt my Scorpion (cheap Chinese) replacement will do as well. I thought I would take a shot with this and see if it can hold up to the Florida Heat. So far I've had it just under 2 years and it's still working fine. I keep mine on a float charger when parked i n my garage

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Batteries have gotten a lot better. My son's '06 Sportster still has the original battery that I've killed a few times. The key has a funny position that I thought was off. Of course my '08 ST still has the original. The kids bike is probably done for the season. I put it on a maintainer about 2 days a month. Last winter, because of the snow, my bike was put on a maintainer for the first time since new. I often wonder if these new batteries actually have their life extended by constantly being on a maintainer. They seem to give good service with just minimal care. An interesting poll perhaps. The age of the battery would be important vs. care given in the way of charging when not in use. I don't know how to write this, because if all respondents have three year old batteries, care is probably not an issue and the results would be worthless. The other question I have is, does the maintainer actually go into charging mode after a ride? It shouldn't and mine turns green immediately. After that, does anyone really see it charging the battery between rides? Of course, if it is a month between rides, that is a different road. I mean bikes that are used either daily or once or twice per week; does the charger do anything?

Tom

Avtrician

A battery tender that is connected to a bike that is being used at least twice a week, will make very little difference unless the battery is nearly on its last legs.

For periods of inactivity ( as in your winter) then having the tender on is most beneficial. A battery will slowly discharge due to internal resistance and other techo stuff, and the acid will react with the lead forming insoluble lead sulphate. The tender puts a tiny charge current ( only needs mili amps ) which prevent this build up. If the tender is capable of it, it may even discharge the battery for a while, and then recharge, its all good. The tender over winter months of extreme cold also has the effect of stopping the battery fluids from freezing (always bad)

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Funny, I just stumbled on this thread after visiting Keel Brothers site looking at a new battery for my '06. My battery is still going. Have never used a battery tender. I have killed it 4 or 5 times by leaving the ignition on or GPS plugged in. Since the original has lasted this long, I'm afraid to try any other brand. Now I'm thinking I should let it go thru winter and replace next season unless it dies before then.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I'm in the same boat. '04 with 108,000 kms with original battery but it's on a tender during Winters. It's still going strong but I'm thinking it's time for a new one in the Spring. The bike has never let me down so I should return the favour and make sure it keeps that record intact. Marty

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
A battery tender that is connected to a bike that is being used at least twice a week, will make very little difference unless the battery is nearly on its last legs.

For periods of inactivity ( as in your winter) then having the tender on is most beneficial. A battery will slowly discharge due to internal resistance and other techo stuff, and the acid will react with the lead forming insoluble lead sulphate. The tender puts a tiny charge current ( only needs mili amps ) which prevent this build up. If the tender is capable of it, it may even discharge the battery for a while, and then recharge, its all good. The tender over winter months of extreme cold also has the effect of stopping the battery fluids from freezing (always bad)
A wet cell self discharges at a rate of 6% to 10% per month. The AGM is only 1% to 2% per month. . The battery will not freeze over the course of one month, if it is fully charged at the months beginning. It will show lower voltage in very cold weather, because the chemical reaction has slowed. I just don't see a big need for constant charging during the riding season. Moreover, a failed charger can cause battery death due to over charging.

Tom

Avtrician

Or you can move to Oz, we dont have an off season so can ride all year (it does rain and gets a little cool in winter but)

Top Bottom