Garage Drop!

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Well, unfortunately it happened much faster than I thought it would!

I got the urge to clean off my work bench, put tools away and generally tidy up. The ST is parked between my Miata and my wife's Infiniti (center of the garage) on the center stand. I normally ride every day so I am comfortable in my routine of parking and reversing out (normally I just jump on it and roll it off the stand).

Well... back to my cleaning up. I decide to move the bike back about 5 feet to make room to sweep. I confidentially walk up to the side, drop it off its center stand, hit an unseen bin in front of the wheel - which turn it right suddenly, putting my center of balance over the bike and that was it! It was all I could do not to fall on top of it, let alone hold it up.

Luckily, enough room was between the cars that it didn't touch them. My garage is smooth concrete which saved the rear exhaust. BTW - for those looking to replace the exhaust with aftermarket, it is angled for a reason. It protects the rear pannier if you do tip over. I wish I had snapped a picture of it down, it was just sitting happy on its side on the wing and exhaust.

I of course quickly picked it up, I didn't want anyone investigating and seeing it on its side. :p The instructional youtube video of the lady picking up the Harley was actually helpful here, about 3 minutes in:

Long story a little shorter, the worst damage was to my pride. I found the a clip out of place on the faring next to the headlight and mirror. I don't know if that was from the impact or if the mirror touched when it flexed. The wing cover had a crushed/cut area from taking the hit. The back exhaust had a small scuff (it buffed out) and the pannier had a slight flattening of the texture. The wing protector was $23 shipped from eBay.

Stay safe out there! Definitely do not try to catch one of these if they are going over. lol
IMG_20201221_132821.jpg

IMG_20201221_132828.jpg

IMG_20201221_132848.jpg

-Ryan

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I feel your pain. When I got my candy apple red 08, it was near mint condition and I spent a lot of cash buying it. I only had it a week when I tried taking it off the center stand also. It leaned to the right and I was on the left. Down it went against my pile of wood. I heard a crunch so I knew I broke something. My heart sank as I picked it up quickly with super strength! :) I had to replace the RH side mirror cover. I have learned that when coming off the center stand and you're on the side of the bike, turn the handle bars away from you, so the bike will lean towards you.
Did you have crash bars on the rear? Most have used the goldwing version of the bars.
You will forget about this incident before long! :)

Attachments

Reactions: Djc
OP
OP
Ryan_B

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
It is amazing how fast your super strength kicks in for embarrassing moments like these. ;) My wife didn't hear or notice by the way. Looking back, if it would have fallen on me I wonder how long I would have been pinned. lol

No additional crash bars, I was lucky my garage is smooth otherwise it would have chewed up the exhaust pretty badly. I have thought about the bars on the back, but if I am ever in a non tip-over situation and I do hit something in that area (or someone hits me), I would prefer my pannier break away and not twist me into whatever object was hit. I am sure I would still lose control if it were indeed bad enough to tear it off, but it may not launch me. I don't know. I am probably over thinking. :p

*edit* Yours do tuck up nicely though. Are those Goldwing?

-Ryan

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Several years back, a neighbor was had finished washing her HD. When finished, she pushed it off the drive and into the front yard. The sidestand sank into the ground and the bike went over. She used the technique above and promptly dumped the bike over on its right side, and tumbled over with it. Didn't want any help and her second try worked. She used a piece of plywood to catch the side stand. A bit over 5' 2" and maybe 90 pounds is apparently all it takes. Just watch out for the other side, with your back to the bike, there's no graceful way to catch it if it does cross over center.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You will forget about this incident before long! :)
Yes, but the next time will bring them all back. :rofl1:

Well, unfortunately it happened much faster than I thought it would!
It always does. If we expected it to go over, we would have done something differently, turned the handle bars the other way, positioned our leg differently, stopped a few feet over, etc. Glad you did not get hurt. I've had a couple of tip overs in which the bike literally flipped me like the ball by the flipper in pinball. That's even more embarrassing than a simple drop. Consider the GoldWing bars or Bydawg's. BTW, consider myself to be an expert at tip overs.:rofl1:

Just keep it all in perspective. It can always be a whole lot worse.

Reactions: Djc
Top Bottom