Garmin GPS and TPMS sensors

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Does anyone know whether the Garmin 590 only works with Garmin TPMS sensors, or are there other compatible sensors available?

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Larry:

I'm pretty sure that the Garmin navigator only works with the Garmin TPMS sensors. It's not only a question of frequency, but also a question of the format (language, so to speak) that the data is transmitted in.

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been any standardization of TPMS protocols amongst automotive manufacturers. Systems that use sensors embedded on or within the wheel use the same frequency (FYI different frequencies are used in North America vs. Europe), but this is only because frequencies are allocated for this kind of purpose by the ITU (a non-automotive organization).

Michael

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not surprising that everyone hopes their Proprietary becomes the Standard. That's how fortunes are made.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I wouldn't be too critical of the lack of standardization in TPMS components. The technology is changing and improving rapidly (consider the difference between the in-wheel sensors on my 2006 VW, which were about the size & weight of the car key, and the little valve-cap sensors that Garmin introduced 10 years later), and there is no demand at all to swap wheels between different brands of automobiles.

I think it would be inappropriate and not in the best interests of consumers for any regulation (standardization) to be imposed on this technology. More to the point, monitoring tire pressure by using in-wheel or on-wheel sensors is rapidly dying out, except for rare exceptions such as motorcycles or very large wheels on slow-moving off-road vehicles. Today, almost all TPMS systems monitor differences in wheel rotation speed via the ABS system to infer tire pressure.

Michael

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I wouldn't be too critical of the lack of standardization in TPMS components.
hmm... on cars we need seasonal tires, summer, and some M&S in winter though...
So now one not only needs to buy 4 rims + tires, he also needs to get 4 expensive TPMS thingies from the vehicle MFG, and then (oh what a wonder) needs to pay extra at the designated workshop to get them paired with his "onboard systems" as this "mouse-theater" wouldn't stop screaming fault codes etc...

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...he also needs to get 4 expensive TPMS thingies from the vehicle MFG...
I think that technology (stand-alone sensors in the wheels) is becoming obsolete. I do recall having those kind of sensors on my Phaeton 10 years ago - you are correct, they are expensive & fiddley - but nowadays, I think all TPMS systems (at least, all VW ones) don't require in-wheel or on-wheel sensors, they use wheel speed data sourced from the ABS sensors.

Michael

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I think that technology (stand-alone sensors in the wheels) is becoming obsolete.
not as long as they can milk this for profit...
But even the "indirect" TPMS concept requires a workshop visit subject to charge for the re-calibration of tire circumference... which can only be done by a special computer interface with dongle, approved by factory (and while this thing is online they grab all the telemetry data from your ECU they can get a hold off...)

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
There’s dozens of TPMS on Amazon for $50. A TPMS separate from your GPS allows you to run without a GPS.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Okay, question number two: Is there anywhere I can get a pair for less than $134 at GPS City?
I read you, those Garmin sensor caps won't come below € 70,- to 80,- a piece over here, you guys get them rather cheap in comparison:

Top Bottom