Gasket sealers

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Pulled the right cover off the VFR to do Some clutch work and cover surgery - of which is now a step up in my mechanical efforts. If one were to put it back together what sealer would you recommend for the gasket. I would imagine a good high temp version of some kind. I have it all back together less the new cover. Want to avoid oil seepage

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I usually do not use any sealant on gaskets unless it is called out to be used. Most gaskets especially those made in Japan do not need any gasket sealer. Most times I will just coat the gasket with a light moly grease when I install it. This helps to hold the gasket in place and allows the case to be removed easily if taken apart later. If you find yourself doing an on the road repair, the old gasket will remain usable if coated with grease.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
How did the old gasket look,come off without a lot of effort?prolly had no sealant on it.Lots of residue,had scrape like hell?Sealant.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
In the old days, you greased paper gaskets, but the VFR clutch gasket is a newer type. Although you don't have to, grease is still a good idea, and a smear of RTV where the ignition pickup is. If not using an OEM gasket, the Athena brand is good.

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
The service manual recommends that you install the new gasket, and then apply a small amount of sealant to the ignition pulse grommet only.
Not to argue - mine recommended sealant - just saying. Definitely said same about the ignition pulse grommet.

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
I usually do not use any sealant on gaskets unless it is called out to be used. Most gaskets especially those made in Japan do not need any gasket sealer. Most times I will just coat the gasket with a light moly grease when I install it. This helps to hold the gasket in place and allows the case to be removed easily if taken apart later. If you find yourself doing an on the road repair, the old gasket will remain usable if coated with grease.
Good advise

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
How did the old gasket look,come off without a lot of effort?prolly had no sealant on it.Lots of residue,had scrape like hell?Sealant.
It came off relatively clean some remained and had to be razor bladed off. Looks like a factory seal green in color. Was broken at the grommet location. It took a bit of prying to break it loose. Most of it stuck to the cover

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
In the old days, you greased paper gaskets, but the VFR clutch gasket is a newer type. Although you don't have to, grease is still a good idea, and a smear of RTV where the ignition pickup is. If not using an OEM gasket, the Athena brand is good.
The bike is a 2003 6th gen - had a oem gasket of which I ordered a new oem from ronayers - thinking the grease idea is a good idea especially if I make it a track bike. Being able to do remote work and not worrying about a gasket.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Not to argue - mine recommended sealant - just saying. Definitely said same about the ignition pulse grommet.
Interesting, the 6th gen manual differs to the 5th gen manual there. The 6G manual does indeed say to use sealant 5-15mm either side of the joint of the two crankcase halves, plus the grommet. They are always learning...

Top Bottom