"Gears" heated clothing

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, just tested the 20-year old Widder vest this morning.
Still works! The gloves will be tested before much longer.
With all the other stuff I still want to put on the 1300 (aux lights, maybe cruise), I am inclined to make it last one more season, before I trade it all for Warm 'n Safe.
I HATE being cold!
But there's no comparing the weather protection with this bike, vs. the KTM 950 Adventure now departed. I know, different purposes - but some of y'all have taken your comfort for granted, for a long time. I'm digging it!

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
If you decide to go the W&S route, I highly recommend that you speak with Ken Phenix, who has a page on Facebook. I've spoken with him at length and ended up buying my W&S gear through him. I found Ken to be highly knowledgeable, eminently professional, and very personable. I know you'll like him.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
If you decide to go the W&S route, I highly recommend that you speak with Ken Phenix, who has a page on Facebook. I've spoken with him at length and ended up buying my W&S gear through him. I found Ken to be highly knowledgeable, eminently professional, and very personable. I know you'll like him.
+1 on Ken Phenix. I bought some heated gloves through him and he was very pleasant to work with.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Well, just tested the 20-year old Widder vest this morning.
Still works! The gloves will be tested before much longer.
With all the other stuff I still want to put on the 1300 (aux lights, maybe cruise), I am inclined to make it last one more season, before I trade it all for Warm 'n Safe.
I HATE being cold!
But there's no comparing the weather protection with this bike, vs. the KTM 950 Adventure now departed. I know, different purposes - but some of y'all have taken your comfort for granted, for a long time. I'm digging it!
While I recommend going with the full jacket if you don't have anything, if you already have a heated vest and it's good enough, I see no reason not to continue to use it as long as it continues to work for you.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
While I recommend going with the full jacket if you don't have anything, if you already have a heated vest and it's good enough, I see no reason not to continue to use it as long as it continues to work for you.
Of all the options I've researched over the years (yes, years), I'm leaning to WNS. As I've told another member, I'm the cheapest cheap SOB you'll find, and my motto is "Never pay retail." WNS has several discount options, including trading in used Widder gear, and the MSF RiderCoach discount, and that doesn't include the group discount from ST owners, if that's still available.
I know how to layer, I have good gear, and in the coldest rides I've made, my arms have never been cold. It's my hands and my core, and if they are ok then I'll soldier on. Then, the next issue is keeping the faceshield from fogging up - another topic altogether.

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Then, the next issue is keeping the faceshield from fogging up - another topic altogether.
Pinlock inserts. My AGV Sportmodular came with an anti-fog Pinlock 120 insert (wide vision), and it works an absolute treat. Even with the chin curtain installed and on the coldest day, I never had a fogging issue.

Shy of that, I'd recommend watching this video before you make any decisions.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Pinlock inserts.
<SNIP>
I actually have a pinlock that came with my Neotech. Never used it, but I'm gonna this year.
Really need to buy a new clear shield first, for optimum results.
Thanks for the push! I've been thinking about affixing the pinlock... in fact, every year about this time. LOL!

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I actually have a pinlock that came with my Neotech. Never used it, but I'm gonna this year.
Really need to buy a new clear shield first, for optimum results.
Thanks for the push! I've been thinking about affixing the pinlock... in fact, every year about this time. LOL!
Ha, I'm in the same boat... I have the mounts on my shield, but never pulled the trigger on the insert... maybe this year. ;)

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I always thought Pinlock inserts were a bit of a hype study, until I used the anti-fog insert. Now I'm sold.

If you have Pinlock shields and ride in the cold, spend the money.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Ha, I'm in the same boat... I have the mounts on my shield, but never pulled the trigger on the insert... maybe this year. ;)
I just installed a pinlock on my shield. Two days commuting in the low 40s, and no fog at all. Only two data points, but it's a good start.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I just installed a pinlock on my shield. Two days commuting in the low 40s, and no fog at all. Only two data points, but it's a good start.
Pinlock is the bomb. Left it off initially, but wow, what a difference it made on rainy days. It continues to impress in the cold weather. The only minor issue I have had is getting a complete seal on the ends right where the Pinlock pin is. But that is a minor issue. It works as advertised. RT

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My experience with heated gloves -
I've had pretty much all of the brands -
Widder, Gerbing (various models) and WarmNSafe.

I am a daily rider throughout the year so my heated gloves see lots of use.
I now have Gordon's Gloves (the original Gerbing family) in my second season and they are by far the warmest, most comfortable heated gloves I have ever owned. They are more expensive (made from deerskin), but their customer service and product quality are excellent.
And they do have a lifetime warranty which is important with gloves as I have had numerous glove failures with other makers.
And it is a nice bonus that the gloves are made in the USA and the wiring installation is done in the USA.
Hard to find products like that anymore.

Reactions: jrp
Top Bottom