Gel Bandana's and Mesh/High Temperature Jackets

ShaftyNZ

Riding Godzone
Bike
06 ST1300
Hi Folks

...from the desert island of Bahrain in the Middle East - (Home of the US Navy's 5th Fleet btw).

I am currently based here where current temps are around 95 - 115 fahrenheit 'in the shade' and riding can be very uncomfortable.

I'm looking for some clothing/cooling solutions which seem pretty much non existant here!

I used a gel bandana tied around my neck while touring the USA a few years back and found it was great in helping me 'keep my cool'.

I have also since read adverts for jackets for use in high temps, (for example www.tourmaster.com)

I am looking to buy both some gel bandana's and a 'cool' jacket for use here in Bahrain.

Can anyone recommend a quality brand and supplier of either please?

Are the Gel bandana's still widely used in the US or been superseded?

I just can't bring myself to ride without any jacket (Like many locals do) and the current result is a very hot and sweaty rider at the journey's end!

Many thanks in advance

ShaftyNZ
(A Kiwi in Bahrain) :biker:

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
There was also a recent thread on this that I can't find. Maybe do a search for vest or cooling.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
OP
ShaftyNZ

ShaftyNZ

Riding Godzone
Bike
06 ST1300
There was also a recent thread on this that I can't find. Maybe do a search for vest or cooling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Tom, - i have done such a search, and found some interesting stuff on Evaporative and Phase Change jackets, - but nothing significant on gel bandana's.

I'll search now on Mesh jackets.

All help appreciated - thank you

ShaftyNZ

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Here is a link to more info on cooling vests.

Link

I replied to your PM on the Tourmaster Mesh Jacket that I have. As I said overall like it. A couple little complaints the biggest being the velcro which I have read in other posts here. But that is an easy fix if it bigs me enough.

I would imagine you are in a low humidity environment there so you would benefit more from a cooling vest than I would here were it tends to be more humid.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
For mesh, the best cooling effect I've encountered thus far is the Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar. Better than Joe Rocket, better than the Olympia. Also much more expensive.

Bike
2004 st1300
Motoboss has some good, cheap mesh Jackets and pants with decent CR/padding. Got mine at cycle gear on sale-$59.95 for the jacket. bout the same for the pants

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
A cooling vest will be your best bet. Especially there with low humidity. The smallest windshield you can get will help also.

Bike
ST
My 2 cents:
Riding all day above 95 F ;Cool vest, gel neck cooling ,wick dry skivies, camelback filled with gator-aid wear it under your mesh jacket,salt pills,peeing regulary,plus dumping cold water down your shirt and soaking your helmet too.
Avoid caffiene, products.Take breaks in A/C its not an iron butt.

Top Bottom