GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
ALERT!
I was having the same floating, marbles, feeling like I was on ice feeling on my 07.
I went through everything I could think of. Wheel bearings, tire pressure, bearings greased, packed, adjusted,
Front wheel assembly, bags empty, pre-load adjustment from zero to max. Nothing helped.
I think I found my problem last night...
I discovered that ALL the pinch bolts in the front forks, two upper, four lower, were loose by at least 1/2 turn!
My forks, had moved up 1mm on the left side, and almost 3mm on the right side!
I believe they should be torqued to 20lbs (I'm at work, so check your Service Manual).
Anyhow, I loosened everything up, alligned everything flush with the triple tree, tightened the top two first, then the lower ones. Placed the pre-load a little lower than standard at (5) clicks (2 1/2 turns) and rode it to work this morning.
FANTASTIC, no weave, wobble, or hunting.
I urge everyone out there who is having STRANGE handling at any speed, to Please check your fork pinch bolts!
Note: I was running my preload at 21 clicks (2-3 lines showing) and thought It was nice. But now, at LESS than standard at 5 clicks, it runs soooo much smoother, and turns in without feeling like its tipping over so much.
Just paying it forward.
Ride safe
IGOFAR

Bike
2006 ST 1300
I have a new to me 06 and was experiencing the same "detached" feeling of the bike "skating" or sliding on the freeway at speeds over 60 MPH. I experimented with windscreen position, tire pressure, seating position etc. It was weirdly disconcerting to say the least and in crosswinds felt dangerous. Two days ago I decided to pull the pre load adjuster as per instructions here on the forum. I was probably 8-9 clicks before any preload was applied and that was way past half. The fluid level was very low and the fill process was easy and took about 30 minutes tops. I took out the measuring tape and measured the sag load and unloaded and wouldn't you know it, after seven clicks it was right in spec. I then adjusted my rebound damping to 1.75 turns from complete clockwise. Took it out for a 100 mile run and the difference was significant. Smoother softer ride, completely planted in corners and unmovable on the highway, even in higher winds and truck turbulence. This might not be your issue but I would certainly look into it. Worked for me.

OP
OP
Sabre

Sabre

Pr?t? Allez!
Bike
'04 ST1300
UPDATE: I would never have believed that a small suspension adjustment could have made such a difference, but it did.

I backed the rear preload adjuster off of the position that the PO had set, somewhere about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way in. Set it at the default 7 clicks, and also set the damping back to default and was amazed to note an immediate and dramatic improvement. I'm flabbergasted that such a change can so dramatically affect the handling. I've never owned a bike that handled so poorly without having a dramatically worn-out suspension. It still has some bobble with turbulence from other vehicles, but the still-wind ice skating is 95% gone, and I haven't even tried to dial in the proper settings yet. Unbelievable.

I had checked all the other stuff but will most def check the fork tube pinch bolts! Thanks for the tip, Igofar!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just for grins, back off the preload adjuster to zero, then turn it in 5 clicks, then set the dampening at 1.5 turns out from full (counterclockwise). This makes it even smoother!

Top Bottom