Getting to Know the Bike

OP
OP
draser
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Be damned if I would send it to them.
Worst case scenario I can use a shop in the states but, where's the fun in that... I'll just order a line with proper end fittings and do it m'self.

You're a while away from this yet - but I'll post it while I remember. You may find it useful. There is s useful post for taking a fairing off and identifying the nuts and bolts so that you can put them all back together again. I provide a link to that.
Thank you, my fairings - while in good condition thank God - came with missing fasteners and/or wrong fasteners so your help will be appreciated!! When I get there I'll have to order what's missing. I did find a few fasteners within the bike as I was taking it apart but I feel I'm still short a bunch.

You can re-fill it just like the OEM Honda shock, which Honda, Penske, Progressive, and everyone else will tell you ONLY they can do it
My thoughts exactly...

Filling the fluid line for the rear shock is relatively easy. Theres a thread on here somewhere. I bought a brand new Honda replacement and it came with (about) 10 clicks of free space before it started to move the preload - so my very first job was to refill that. It is impossible for me to get it so that there is no air at all in there, but if you fill the lines up, move the piston a few times and bolt the banjo bolt with fluid flowing out as you tighten - well I got it to just two clicks. Standard OEM is 7 clicks.
Yeah, it reminds me when I rebuilt the rear shocks with fluid reservoirs on my Magna, main problem (obviously) was getting as much air out as possible while filling with fluid.

OP
OP
draser
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Thank you all for your replies, getting there slowly but surely. It seems that my rear wheel "flange bearings" are missing a few balls here and there so the order went out, also added the needle bearing for the shock lower attachment point as there was some play in the bearing/bushing assembly. Working on pressing out the needle bearing.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are a couple of significant 'O' rings that fit in the disassembled wheel. Make sure that these are in place/replaced.

Parts 23 and 22 on this diagram. They will be numbered differently on other fiches.

1714085636459.png

Top Bottom