Givi top box lid won’t stay open

STOC #
Starting late last season, the lid on my givi e55 top box stopped staying open. I tightened the little screw in the two hinge/brackets that holds it open but that didn’t last long at all. Somwhere here on the forum somebody showed pictures of alternative hinges and where to buy them. I just can’t find the thread again. Anyone know which one I’m talking about?

Interesting ... the Givi top box on my previous ST13 didn't have a "hinge/bracket" to hold it open.

So yours has some sort of hinge that "locks into place"?

On mine:
When you open the lid, the lid would swivel and eventually "lean" enough towards the front of the bike to keep it open. There are two nylon ropes (at each side) that held it in place so the lid wouldn't "continue to lean further" ... see cyan circle in image:
1677277671468.png

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
A while ago today, I started to post a Reply to the effect of "...Really? I don't remember my Givi lid ever staying up / open on its own" but then I remember all the times I was wrong last week, so I didn't post.
But these little stays in the link above, could likely be found at woodworking stores (no Lee Valley kinda place around here) or online; they are common items.
But, as @Andrew Shadow has reminded us repeatedly in the last couple of days, it's all about knowing WHERE to look, eh?

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I had a Givi that would never stay up until I put the luggage rack on. Maybe a roll of pennies taped inside?
I didn’t think this was a problem but I bought mine (used) with a rack on it, so it always stayed open. The problem I have is catching those stringy lid stoppers from sticking out the side and preventing the lid from closing.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The problem I have is catching those stringy lid stoppers from sticking out the side and preventing the lid from closing.
If they are the plastic/nylon (whatever it is) type, take a heat-gun to them and reshape them so that they fold in instead of out as the lid comes down.
I had the same issue and fixed it in a couple of minutes this way.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Perhaps you can remove the screws, reposition the stoppers so they fold inside, and replace the screws.
If they are the plastic/nylon (whatever it is) type, take a heat-gun to them and reshape them so that they fold in instead of out as the lid comes down.
I had the same issue and fixed it in a couple of minutes this way.
Thank you gentlemen, I will give those a try. Great suggestions.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Thank you gentlemen, I will give those a try. Great suggestions.
I got working on this today and discovered that the plastic sleeve was almost cut through 1/2 way down on both sides of the lid. I just snipped the rest of the way and now that the plastic sleeve is in 2 pieces, it bends inward now and no more catching on the sides. All the years of getting caught wore out the thin plastic sleeve. Thanks for the push to look at another solution for this irritation.

Top Bottom