Giving Her a Wash

Good Day Folks;
Taking advantage of the warm weather I gave the beast an oil and filter change, then I rolled it out into the sunshine to wash off the accumulated salt from the trip home a couple of months ago. Nice and clean now, I'll put the bodywork back on tomorrow. As we all know, lots of plastic and itty bitty clips. Then hopefully take it for the provincial inspection. Then ride it !
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster
Ontario, Canada

Attachments

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
MikeC, Was your trip home from when you bought it and that's why you need the provincial cert?
Hope to see you around somewhere this summer, ONSTOC is in your neck of the woods too this year.

OP
OP
MikeC
Hi St;
Yes I bought the bike in Collingwood, Ont and it got really dirty on the way home, coated in salt. I have spent the better parts of the last two days getting her plastics re-installed. As I said lots of screws and little clips.
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster
Ontario, Canada

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Does anybody has a trick to remove salt oxydation from bolts and hardware?
I used a metallic brushes on the stainless bolts in the past, but I am sure that is not the best way to clean them.
The painted one are even more difficult to recover and the engine exposed aluminium is the worst.
Salt & sand are the enemy!
And Mike, soon you will be able to remove and put back the fairing in no time, you'll get used to!
The clips are easy to brake but inexpensive to replace and it's always nice to have a stock of them.
Nice cleaning, congrats!

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Does anybody has a trick to remove salt oxydation from bolts and hardware?
I used a metallic brushes on the stainless bolts in the past, but I am sure that is not the best way to clean them.
The painted one are even more difficult to recover and the engine exposed aluminium is the worst.
Salt & sand are the enemy!
And Mike, soon you will be able to remove and put back the fairing in no time, you'll get used to!
The clips are easy to brake but inexpensive to replace and it's always nice to have a stock of them.
Nice cleaning, congrats!
I don't know anything that removes oxidation from hardware (edit....unless you have the necessary access). Best thing is to remove the cause. Rust, or other corrosion, never sleeps once started. I use S100 spray cleaner. It seems a bit aggressive but also seems to prevent buildups of oxidation causing deposits in difficult to reach areas. Wash it off thoroughly, don't allow it to dry on the bike, then blow dry everything I can't reach with a leaf blower. I've seen a 'bike hair dryer' on youtube that I'm considering that is smaller than my blower and will probably work better. Don't recall the brand name, I just saw it on a 'how to wash your bike' video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom