Gl1800 suspension questions

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
I've added a few farkles to my 2008 Airbag model and am thinking about getting the suspension done as well. Does anyone have experience with the Traxxion full monty or any of their products ? I know on some of the Goldwing forums people rave about that setup. I had the Race Tech front forks and shock rebuilt and upgraded on my ST1300, at first I was not that impressed but after a few months I really loved it.
I just don't know if the difference is as big as the cost is, know it could be subjective, but trust opinions and experience of people here pretty well.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Does anyone have experience with the Traxxion full monty or any of their products ?
My '01 1100 has a Traxxion front end (and a Progressive shock/spring) the previous owner had done.

I don't know exactly how full the Monty is, but it certainly rides and handles well.

Hmmm. We had a 2007 "Audio Comfort" 'Wing, and never considered suspension modification.

Not sure if it's because of that particular model, or because we rode it like it was a station wagon :). Same mentality for the two STs - mostly considered them more touring vs sport touring.

Dumb question on my part - what prompted you to consider suspension upgrade?

OP
OP
rdmsttrav
Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
Hmmm. We had a 2007 "Audio Comfort" 'Wing, and never considered suspension modification.

Not sure if it's because of that particular model, or because we rode it like it was a station wagon :). Same mentality for the two STs - mostly considered them more touring vs sport touring.

Dumb question on my part - what prompted you to consider suspension upgrade?
I don't think its a dumb question I appreciate your input... its one I'm asking myself as I go along as well..I think the 2007 and 2008 have the same setup OEM .I am doing my third 2k mile trip back and forth to my folks on I-5 and just wanted better handling in the curves in Southern Oregon than I've been getting with it. I'm not looking for sport bike handling. I have read a ton about the Traxxion upgrade so maybe have fallen under the over farkling spell and trying to make the bike perfect rather than just enough for what I got it for.
On the other hand I love the way my ST1300 handles after I got newer suspension and I guess I'm trying to get the GL1800 closer to that.

Thanks also Larry for your input

Bike
2010 ST1300
I had the Race Tech front forks and shock rebuilt and upgraded on my ST1300, at first I was not that impressed but after a few months I really loved it.
I did the RT forks Gold Valves for one reason. The freeway nearby has expansion humps every 50 - 75'...the asphalt expands to a bump a few inches high. This goes on for a few miles and I ride that section often. After doing the RT upgrade, the bumps were 'spread out' as if they had a ramp on both sides. The shock to my fillings was lessened, and I liked the change. After a few months, I did the rear shock, and the change was not as dramatic. I'm not an aggressive rider, but I did come to appreciate the 'planted' feel of the ST w/ the mods in curves, especially when following other riders who might be going a tad faster than I would were I alone.

If you think your bike's handling is not what you want, I'd suggest you go for it and suspend the 'is it worth it' dithers. In the end, it most likely will be. Manufacturers rarely put the best of anything* into a bike and aftermarket companies live or die on the quality of their hardware.

*Well, Honda seems to hit a few home runs w/ their engines.

Top Bottom