Glad I found this!

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Hi everyone, I'm Brian and bought my first ST1100 back in April. it's a 93 with just over 57,000 miles on it now. I am sooo glad to have a place where all my questions are answered before I knew I had them. Thank you! So I have a question. My rear shock is a Progressive Suspension 375/465 mono shock. It seem squishy to say the least. Does anyone know if these can be rebuilt?

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Brian, lots of member here will know about your progressive rear suspension.
Maybe you could change the title of your publication (you can "edit" your publication, and change the title ) for something like "ST1100 progressive rear suspension".
It will probably catch more the attention of those who can help you.
Just my two cents. ; -)

Welcome to the forum. And congrats for your find. Those bikes are good trustable machines. And there is a lot of knowledge here to help you keep it running fine.
Chris

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Welcome to the forum.

One of my best friends has a BMW Airhead, and had the same issue. I suggested raising the rear ride height a bit.

He did, and it made a bigger difference than he thought it would, and also improved the bike's steering response.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
IIRC, Progressive has this 'annoying' habit of refusing to rebuild their older shocks.
They will gladly sell a new one that can be 'rebuilt' until they decide it can't. ;)
WIlbers (which is what I use) or Hagon makes great replacements.
I had an older Progressive shock, got the "bait n switch" when I called about having it rebuilt...no thanks. Bought a Hagon w remote preload and love it!

OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Thanks for the information. Next question. I was going over my rear shock and noticed that the preload looks like it was set as soft as possible so that could account for the squishy ride. (I will let you know later if that helps). Back to my question. The shock when grabbed turns a bit side to side. Never having had a bike with a monoshock (all previous rides are pre 1987 Honda's) I was not sure if that was normal? It is tight and firmly attached, but turns at the mounting bolts. Probably a terrible description I know.

Bike
ST1100Y
The shock when grabbed turns a bit side to side. Never having had a bike with a monoshock (all previous rides are pre 1987 Honda's) I was not sure if that was normal? It is tight and firmly attached, but turns at the mounting bolts. Probably a terrible description I know.
I recently also noticed that my progressive 465 had a lateral motion in x axis(side to side) with about 2mm each side of the lower bush. The twisting motion I rem is normal due to the spherical bearing/bush, not the lateral.
Can't remember when I installed the shock back in 2012/2013 if there's a lower collar/shouldered bushing or maybe it was missing when my workshop did some work on it.

I added M14 washers on each side last week and the lateral movement was reduced drastically. Seems to feel less road bumps and vibs now.

suspension_with_gap1.jpgsuspension_with_gap2.jpgsuspension_no_gap1.jpgsuspension_no_gap2.jpgsuspension_no_gap3.jpgsuspension_with_gap1.jpg

OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Update. So after so.e more minor adjustments to the rear shock the bike is handling much better and I feel like I have usable suspension again. Also played with handle bar position. Think I found my comfy place. Did a quick 100 this morning felt good.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I recently also noticed that my progressive 465 had a lateral motion in x axis(side to side) with about 2mm each side of the lower bush. The twisting motion I rem is normal due to the spherical bearing/bush, not the lateral.
Can't remember when I installed the shock back in 2012/2013 if there's a lower collar/shouldered bushing or maybe it was missing when my workshop did some work on it.

I added M14 washers on each side last week and the lateral movement was reduced drastically. Seems to feel less road bumps and vibs now.
Mine came with four wide vinyl? spacers. Had to hold them in place with a little dab of grease and got everything into place. Still a little lateral movement, not much and the gap isn't wide enough for the thinnest washer I had. Six weeks now and no 'feel' issues or annoying tapping noises.

Top Bottom