Glass Fuel Filter

Bike
1999 ST1100
Just replaced the standard fuel filter with this new glass lined filter...which allows me to remove the actual filter and replace that portion only saving a few $$$ on future replacements. Cost was just over $11 with replacement filter cases 92) at $6Glass Fuel FIlter.jpg

Bike
ST1100N '92
It looks like a nice gadget, but how safe is using glas in a fuel line? Is it unbreakable? Secondly; I recall reading about alternate fuel filters that do not have enough capacity, leading to fuel problems. This is why I would opt for either original, or an alternate model that has been proven to work without problems over longer period.

Regards, Rob

OP
OP
Johnny Canuck
Bike
1999 ST1100
Rob and Steve...good points. I actually joked with the parts clerk who sold me the filter. The first thing I noticed was the heavier weight of this filter compared to the original plastic opaque one. It's the thickness of the glass. I joked that this would alter the centre of gravity on the bike! I think it's thick enough to withstand just about anything.

Bike
ST1100N '92
Thanks Johnny Canuck,
Well, since the ST is known for not having problems with carrying some extra weight, the filter housing is strong enough and it is having enough capacity, that leaves us with only the positive sides:
It's clear, so, easy to visually inspect and the filter can be replaced at low cost.
Just noticed that it is also available on the European market at reasonable prices. Will probably be my next filter also.

Regards, Rob

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I had a similar filter on my ST1100 and it was trouble free for tens of thousands of miles. Cheap and easy
filter replacement. And carrying a spare is really light so you probably gain back those extra ounces for
those that carry spares. :)

Bike
1994 ST1100
That's really nice one. I'm using clear plastic replacement from autozone but its much bulkier. No problems with fuel delivery, just when I'm re- installing seat, it's always bumping in the filter.
According to the dorman website, 2 Autoparts stores near me carry those.

thanks,

Mark

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I had one of those on my 1100 for most of the 8 years I owned it. Filter always looked clean. Never had to change the element.

bill

Bike
05 GL18/99 ST11
It appears some folks here haven't been exposed to such things as these. i would submit there has prolly been well past a few million miles of usage by various motorsports fanatics.
my current version has over 400k miles of usage on Aux Fuel Tanks that have been applied to various bikes over the past few odd years.
as an advisory,
i would suggest those performing any maintenance to ensure the correct contact/seating of the o-ring's when reassembling; and to ensure the flow directions are noted.
also the "Glass" is similar to a Pyrex Style tube. they are heavy gauge and virtually indestructible.
they Seldom, if ever, get any real debris in the filter to cause clogging or reduced fuel flow unless one frequents old Petrol Stations using Old Metal Tanks vs the more current Double Walled Composite Tanks.

enjoy!

Top Bottom