Going Dark - Legal, Insurance and Compliance considerations

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Yuze guys aren't worried about running a MC tire that is not listed in your owners manual?
Don't see a trailer listed in the honda approved accesories.
Overloaded weight capacity.
Top box not offered by Honda in the states.
Anything more than the foam that came in the tool kit prolly overloads the tail rack.
Over the speed limit when you had your get off.
Suspension mods.
Garage door windscreens...

fwiw the grant subsidized mandatory road side check points for motorcycle's only (for your safety:rolleyes:) are about having a DOT sticker on your skid lid, and a number on your exhaust pipe.

NJ doesn't have DMV inspection for motorcycles anymore but when they did; if your paperwork was in order, lights lit, horn honked and you didn't have a balloney skin tar you're good to go. AFAIK there is still a requiremnt to have a 2" red reflective square on the back of your helmet. Nobody does, it was never an issue.

IOW relax go ride.:D

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Yuze guys aren't worried about running a MC tire that is not listed in your owners manual?
Don't see a trailer listed in the honda approved accesories.
Overloaded weight capacity.
Top box not offered by Honda in the states.
Anything more than the foam that came in the tool kit prolly overloads the tail rack.
Over the speed limit when you had your get off.
Suspension mods.
Garage door windscreens...

fwiw the grant subsidized mandatory road side check points for motorcycle's only (for your safety:rolleyes:) are about having a DOT sticker on your skid lid, and a number on your exhaust pipe.

NJ doesn't have DMV inspection for motorcycles anymore but when they did; if your paperwork was in order, lights lit, horn honked and you didn't have a balloney skin tar you're good to go. AFAIK there is still a requiremnt to have a 2" red reflective square on the back of your helmet. Nobody does, it was never an issue.

IOW relax go ride.:D
Guy from Jersey telling us to relax!
When we moved here I had to take the bikes up to the DMV so they could verify the VIN numbers on the bikes to register them in CT. State inspector couldn't read the number on my ST. Guess the number on the NYS form was close enough. LOL. What a waste of time. Rode up to DMV and back so the guy could tell me "close enough".

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just looked at my motorcycle tire and dont see anywhere that is is exclusively for a motorcycle..
It is on the sidewall of the tire.

There are several other places you could also look .... the DOT placard on the frame headstock, page 8 in the owners manual, pages 1-4 and 3-2 in the service manual, Hankook's website (Warranty Terms, Service & Support, Technical Bulletin, etc.)

Not that anyone cares at this point. People gonna do what people want to do.

In the UK it would also be covered by the insurance question Has the vehicle been modified in any way? which of course it has and would require the modification assesing as to be within an insurable condition.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Although I'm not worried about it for various reasons already posted, I am guessing one can find evidence of car tires on motorcycles.... I don't know for sure, but what about BossHogs with those big V-8 engines? Can-Am Spyder FWIW does NOT have car tires despite their appearance. BRG reps told me they were special, and recommended if replaced they be OEM due to more handling compliance (i.e., less material in the sidewalls) and to take advantage of the suspension design for those tires. Betcha lots of Spyder owners make interesting selections come replacement time.... however, those tars last a long time. Now why can't they make those in our rim sizes!!

In a *major* traffic collision (serious injury or death), all involved vehicles should be getting impounded. The vehicles would then be inspected by a certified mechanic (along with a Police Officer) to determine if the vehicle's condition was a contributing factor in the collision. The inspection would include all the tire specifications - air pressure, size, make, model, DOT number etc etc

With that being said, the inspection report would usually end with a conclusion indicating if the mechanical condition of the vehicle was or was not a factor in the collision. Obviously if someone runs a red light and hits a motorcycle broadside it would not really matter what type of tire was on the motorcycle. Another example would be if the brakes pads on the car were down to bare metal - as long as the brakes were able to lock the wheel, (as evidenced by a tire friction mark) it really did not matter if they were technically in violation. Of course when you get attorneys involved in civil court - all common sense goes out the window...

STOC #
Yep, even in the broadside, the lawyer representing the other party will try to get some blame assigned to the motorcycle for not being able to maneuver properly with car tires.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Yep, even in the broadside, the lawyer representing the other party will try to get some blame assigned to the motorcycle for not being able to maneuver properly with car tires.
...... since no one here has even anecdotal evidence of that ever happening, I'd file that in the "fear of sky falling in court" file. I was once actually sued for operating my vehicle in an unspecified unsafe manner - unsuccessfully; didn't make it past deposition. :)

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
In a *major* traffic collision (serious injury or death), all involved vehicles should be getting impounded. The vehicles would then be inspected by a certified mechanic (along with a Police Officer) to determine if the vehicle's condition was a contributing factor in the collision. The inspection would include all the tire specifications - air pressure, size, make, model, DOT number etc etc

With that being said, the inspection report would usually end with a conclusion indicating if the mechanical condition of the vehicle was or was not a factor in the collision. Obviously if someone runs a red light and hits a motorcycle broadside it would not really matter what type of tire was on the motorcycle. Another example would be if the brakes pads on the car were down to bare metal - as long as the brakes were able to lock the wheel, (as evidenced by a tire friction mark) it really did not matter if they were technically in violation. Of course when you get attorneys involved in civil court - all common sense goes out the window...
In the UK the same principles are applied but all vehicles are impounded and the driver/rider reported for any offences discovered regardless of blame.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
What would be left of the darkside bike to inspect after the flames were put out ? Problem solved no evidence left !

STOC #
...... since no one here has even anecdotal evidence of that ever happening, I'd file that in the "fear of sky falling in court" file. I was once actually sued for operating my vehicle in an unspecified unsafe manner - unsuccessfully; didn't make it past deposition. :)
Sure, I was. I got hit at an intersection on my motorcycle 10 years ago and despite having witness statements backing up the fact she ran a stop sign, her ins company lawyers established their defense as 1) obviously I was speeding and 2) I didn't swerve. Thankfully there was too many witness statements stacked against them for a jury trial so they settled. What is so hard to believe here?

BTW, I never said anything regarding the view of legal regarding car tires. I'm stating what would most likely be their first defense strategy.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Sure, I was. I got hit at an intersection on my motorcycle 10 years ago and despite having witness statements backing up the fact she ran a stop sign, her ins company lawyers established their defense as 1) obviously I was speeding and 2) I didn't swerve. Thankfully there was too many witness statements stacked against them for a jury trial so they settled. What is so hard to believe here?
1) had nothing to do with car or motorcycle tires
2) wasn't successful anyway :)

What's so hard to believe is that anyone would waste time worrying what they MIGHT be sued over :D.

STOC #
1) had nothing to do with car or motorcycle tires
2) wasn't successful anyway :)

What's so hard to believe is that anyone would waste time worrying what they MIGHT be sued over :D.
I see your point. Respect that some have different interpretation of "what if's" in life that you might not agree. I was only backing up their hypothetical.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I see your point. Respect that some have different interpretation of "what if's" in life that you might not agree. I was only backing up their hypothetical.
.... and I see yours. Just because I'd file it without worry doesn't mean the sky won't fall someday :).

Should be? Is this an opinion or legal process in California? Just asking.
In CA, any agency is free to conduct any investigation any way they want. Lets just say that Police Officers are in CA are certified by the Peace Officer Standards of Training (POST) and are required to take 'continuing education' type courses every so often to maintain their certification. POST does in fact have a 40 hour course that deals specifically with these types of inspections:
TRAF.COLL.INVEST/MOTOR INSPEC.
This course is designed to enhance the investigative techniques of a traffic collision investigator. The course will show the student how to conduct a complete inspection of a motor vehicle from bumper-to-bumper in order to determine if any of the vehicle systems caused or contributed to the outcome of the collision.
If POST offers the course and no one from that agency has ever taken it - what does that say about the Agency? (note - when an Officer attends one of these mandatory training courses - they are getting paid for it) Also, it is not uncommon for an accident to appear to be minor in nature - the scene gets cleaned up, vehicles towed away and the next day or next week someone dies from an undiagnosed injury... That is one of the reasons why I indicated should

Top Bottom