Gold Wing ( ST 1300 ? ) linked brake recall

STOC #
In the new Motorcycle Consumer News, they tell of a recall of all GoldWings over the issue of rear brakes locking up and the cause being the 'stacking' of specs. around the secondary master cylinder. I had the rear brakes on my ST1300 lock up. I got the secondary master cylinder rebuild kit and installed it and have not had a the problem again.
My question is: It seems to me that we have the same system/parts as the Gold Wing. So maybe we should be included in the recall.
Do we have any Honda connected members that can help on this?

Bike
2008 ST1300
Honda must know this braking system is defective but there aren't as many ST 1300's compared to Gold Wings for them to care about doing anything but the bare minimum.

My ST has been at the dealer since November 5, 2011 for the rear brake sticking and locking up. They have replaced the SMC, PCV, and rear caliper without fixing the problem.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Even if the part numbers are not the same..... we have the problem.....
Not the same problem. GW's due to tolerance stack up, ST's to corrosion. Parts and set up are different, with the GW's looking better, having an upside down SMC (compared to the ST) which makes dirt accumulation around the piston rod less likely. None of the procedure (and special tool) for the GW check applies to the ST. ST will have to fight its own battle on this one.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I should have been more specific. We still have the problem of rear brakes locking up.
Some do but most don't. However, I do believe as the ST1300 ages, more will see the issue.

The GL1800 came out in 2001, the ST1300 in 2003. So, even if the sames numbers were identical logic would say it would be another 2 years before a similar recall was posted.

Obviously, the sales numbers are not identical.. but the ST design does not seem to be as resilient as the Wing design. I had 2 GL1800s and put 50k miles on both and never had any rear braking issues. I've also never had any on the 2 ST1300s I've had. We have see a few here with them but I don't see it as common, I would say 1 out of 3 would be common, based on the posts on the site I don't see that. Of course, if you're one of the '1', it doesn't matter.

The good new is in 2008 Honda changed the design of the front calipers and the SMC. Maybe not a huge design change but it shows they know 'something' is up. This is also why FRONT brake pads for 2003-2007 will not fit the 2008+ bikes. So, perhaps a recall is in the works once some threshold of failures is reached.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
If that is the case then I wonder if they watch parts sales or only warrant work. I know a lot of us just did the work ourselves. From what I saw in testing into mine, how you ride the bike is most likely is a factor. I ride in the rain quite often and the failure was likely caused by water intrusion. Comparing the design on the 1300 to what I saw in the pdf for the Goldwing that was linked in thisb thread, I would think the 1300 would see more failures. That being based on where it is mounted and positioned. On the 1300 the water is driving right at the seal where it is mounted vertically on the Goldwing.

On the 1300 when it fails most note that the rear breaks is dragging and the bike is hard to roll back. When mine failed though that want the case. My poison stuck pushed in and the front left caliper would rattle all the time when going over bumps unless I was on the brakes. The smc wasn't doing anything in my case.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Bike
SSB
STOC #
On the 1300 when it fails most note that the rear breaks is dragging and the bike is hard to roll back. When mine failed though that want the case. My poison stuck pushed in and the front left caliper would rattle all the time when going over bumps unless I was on the brakes. The smc wasn't doing anything in my case.

I seem to be having a similar problem wasn't sure what the sound was and it may or may not be a toll tag I have in the front fairing. My Rear brakes were sticking and the dealer cleaned and said they were good to go now the front is sticking and wearing uneven.

Top Bottom