Goldwing Test Ride

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I rode the Wee for a while, today. It didn’t take 5 miles for me to be tired of the clutch and manual shifting. The DCT has spoiled me.

Ride Safe
John

Bike
2010 ST1300
Well, it's a parallel twin and not a 4 but BMW did make an F800ST, Padden had one and I really liked - and still do - that bike. Not sure about the ergos as it may still be a little too sport for me but nice and quick, light and a belt vs chain so no maintenance there. I think he said it was a little pain to replace and would sometimes squeak a little but still a nice alternative to those that don't want the mess of a chain. It's now the F800GT.
One of the guys in the BMW group I hang out with said that lovely little belt costs $300 (he has an FS800). I don't know about the life of it, but would guess its similar to a well maintained chain.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm guessing a properly maintained belt will last significantly longer than a properly maintained chain. Even if life expectancy were comparable the advantages of a belt over a chain would make it worth the difference in cost to me. The chain's ubiquity does give it an edge in some scenarios.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Belt life is 40,000 km I seem to remember reading. But like just about everything in life it probably depends how you use it. I don't think the sprockets(?, If that is what the are called. Doubt it somehow) require changing unless worn. My experience of modern chains is you'd probably get the same out of it, but they are friggin messy.
Upt'North.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Chain vs. Belt thread now...interesting. My 0.02 as Larry says, is look at the belt use on Harleys. I had mine on for way to long and should have broke, but never did before I sold that ride. (about 180K km) A properly maintained chain will last too, but maintained is not a word with belts. Also a belt drive is smoother IMO. Chains are being swapped out even in cam timing now in racecars.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Question...

When you stop a DCT Goldwing, do you have to put it in neutral?

If not, do you have to hold the brake like an automatic transmission?

Or is it more like a moped, twist and go?

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
Question...

When you stop a DCT Goldwing, do you have to put it in neutral?

If not, do you have to hold the brake like an automatic transmission?

Or is it more like a moped, twist and go?
Twist and go. No brakes needed after stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I have a 2018 manual 6-speed and I really enjoy it. It makes me smile like I did getting on the ST1300, It handles as well as I can tell (I touch the edge of my boot more on this bike than I did on my ST), I am getting better mileage on this bike, which I thought I never would. Under good conditions shield in lowest position 52 mpg at 65 mph, 48 mpg at 70 mph & 45 avg. city riding. At 65 mph I can run 230+ miles and hit reserve with a gallon left. It has plenty of power (take a look at the dyno on this bike 102 ft lbs torque at 900 rpm's), sport mode is crazy fast. The front fork on this bike is the nicest I have ever ridden, it is incredibly light is what you will immediately notice, it both handles and takes bumps better than any bike I have been on (normal RR tracks I can go over at 40 mph NP). Yes the GW Tour is 833 lbs. But the F6B motors center of gravity is so low I myself find it easier to move than my ST. Another item I found is this bike virtually throws off no noticeable heat, as a matter of fact less heat than any bike I have rode or owned. I can ride in running shoes with jeans on a 90+ degree day and feel no heat. The wind coverage is excellent. I rarely touch the foot brake and it has stopped in all my needs just shy of 7500 miles at this point. All this on 86 octane fuel.

Honda did their homework here. This is the future of their business. Yes I like it and for me it was a natural progression from the ST1300.
Updating gas mileage as of 11,000 miles. With light wind, shield in lowest position, at 65 mph 52-53 mpg, at 70 mph 50 mpg, after 11,000 miles an trip B having not been reset, lifetime mileage right now is at 50.6 mpg.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Thanks. That's good to know. The ST1300 can probably get similar gas mileage, but I never do.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Twist and go. No brakes needed after stop.
However, in my test ride I found that you don't want to "blip" the throttle at an intersection. You will enter the intersection very quickly and unexpectedly,..

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
However, in my test ride I found that you don't want to "blip" the throttle at an intersection. You will enter the intersection very quickly and unexpectedly,..
Well that would be a challenging ride for anyone coming from a Harley, where throttle blipping is de rigueur when stopped. I think it's because their afraid the bike is going to stall. :D

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Only thing I can say is don't take your wife when you test ride one. You might end up with one in your garage. A white Tour DCT to be specific. :thumb:

Top Bottom