Gonna have fun today

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A day ahead comparing my 2006 Gold Wing with a 2018 Gold Wing Tour DCT and a sweet '04 ST1300. My good riding buddy Steve is coming over in a few minutes for a day of comparisons. We'll meet up with Ashley at the coffee shop then head out.

Attachments

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The three of us rode about 150 miles yesterday with Steve and Ashley trading off on the '18 and me riding either my Old Wing or Ashley's ST1300. They may add to the discussion but the consensus filtered by me is that they both thought the new Wing has slightly more compression damping than necessary and the ride was a little harsher over sharp-edge bumps than my '06 Wing. Not a huge difference though, just something that can be noticed. The old chassis seems to be a little more nimble when tipping into a corner, like easier to lean and set the line. I noticed this myself when I first rode my 2006 after riding a 2018. It's not a huge difference but noted by all of us. The new engine is smooth and very powerful in the mold of the earlier generation which actually has a little more hp and torque but with both of them experiencing DCT for the first time much of the saddle time is getting used to how to manage and operate the transmission. Power is not a problem. Twist and go pretty much no matter what gear or what rpm. Plenty of poke. The new tech of the '18 in audio, navigation, and suspension settings soaks up attention as well. New owners of '18s will no doubt get beyond this when operation becomes second nature. Steve, whose garage and experience includes German bikes with the wonder wheel thought the Honda was easier to manage the available tech when compared to his BMW. Later in the day Brenda and I took a long ride on the '18 and the tech seemed fairly intuitive to manage on the fly. Engine heat is just not noticeable on the new Wing In this regard the 06 was better than the 04 ST but I'm used to it after 12 years. To me the ST takes more effort to get set up for a turn, more bar pressure to lean, but once in the corner the ST has got the ground clearance and the hp to get out and go. Riding Ashley's ST was like putting on a favorite pair of jeans. It just feels right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
But, what about that "new" fangled electric windscreen? That has to be the "cats meow"!
I think we all left it ['18s electric windshield] in the lowest position. The stock screen on my 06 was about 1.5" too tall and I had that 1.5" trimmed off this morning.

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
Exactly what Dave said. All three will just flat go when you want them to. The 06 is quite a bit more plush over bumps and seems to turn in a little better for some reason. I think I scraped the pegs on the 18 and 06 at one point where I never do on the ST. The 18 was the quietest cockpit of the tree with the 06 in second. ST is just plane noisy compared to the wings. The tech on the 18 was sweet. The dash on the 06 reminded me of my 1986 Honda Civic car but with a lot more buttons. I could live with any of the three bikes. It was nice to get more seat time on the 18 and really get a feel for the DCT. I think I would only ever use the Sport or Tour mode in D. In sport mode the shift is more aggressive. When lugging along in 6 or 7 and you wack open the throttle it drops 2 gears, where in tour it only drops 1. It's nice to be able to thumb it down another gear or two if needed. I tried to listen to the on board radio at speed but I had ear plugs in and we were chatting on the Sena headsets. Dave and Steve commented that they could hear the radio in the headset because I had it up so loud. That's all I can think of for now. It was very cool to compare them back to back to back. Steve and I told Dave he need to bring home an Africa Twin Adventure Sports next week. LOL

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
I think we all left it ['18s electric windshield] in the lowest position. The stock screen on my 06 was about 1.5" too tall and I had that 1.5" trimmed off this morning.
I messed with the windscreen a little bit. All the way up is like the cone of silence from Get Smart. I left it most of the way down and it was very good.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
A big thanks to Dave. I was able to put 85 miles on this bike yesterday. The bike is a dream to ride and silky smooth. However I can see where the stereotypical Wing/Dairy Queen rider may think the suspension is a little harsh compared to the earlier model plushness. However I think it feels sportier. It was fine for me.

I probably spent too much time experimenting (playing) with the DCT. I was looking for something between Tour and Sport mode and figured out manual shift in Tour mode was a good compromise. Sport mode is a little too sporty in traffic or around town and Tour not quite sporty enough unless accelerating hard.

I didn't play with the navi or radio as I was more interested in the handling and performance of the bike. I never did get totally used to making it turn in as I'm used to my Tiger which is much lighter. I was getting better as the day rolled on.

I agree with Ashley on the "cone of silence". It's absolute silence with the screen all the way up. However I rode with it all the way down 99% of the time. It was hot yesterday. Which brings me to heat from the bike. It's non existent which is a very very large consideration of mine. I was very impressed with that.

I found the seating position very comfortable and the seat very good and probably wouldn't change a thing other than a Bead Rider. Of course I was only on it a couple hours.

If/when I get another bike this one is number one on my list. I would like to try a manual shift model also.

Top Bottom