Goofy speedo

I have an unusual problem with my 93 ST11 speedometer. It started last year when I was on my way home from an event. My speedo stopped registering suddenly. Eventually, I replaced the cable. It started working again, but stopped when I hit a sharp bump. For awhile, I could get it to work again by hitiing more bumps, but not always. It also works again if I have come to a stop then go again (but not always). Anyone else experience this?

Bike
VStrom 650
I'm with UP, if it stops starts when hitting bumps check the speedo drive out. Pull the front wheel to get good access.
And stop hitting bumps.
Upt'North.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello, and welcome to our forum community.

The ST 1100 speedometer is an old-fashioned mechanical system. It uses a gear assembly on the front wheel to turn the cable, which then drives the indicator up in the instrument panel.

There are at least 3 possible sources of problems that you should investigate:

1) The drive gear on the front wheel - it is possible that this drive gear is not working properly, perhaps due to wear or damage. To inspect it, you need to remove the front wheel (not a particularly difficult task).

2) The cable - it may not be correctly fitting into the drive gear at the bottom or the speedometer up at the top, or it may require lubrication to allow it to turn freely. It's also possible (not likely, but possible) that it may have broken at either end or somewhere in the middle.

3) The indicator (speedometer itself) - this should be a pretty trouble-free device, but it is possible that there is something wrong with it. I think the most common problem is that the cable is not properly inserted into the indicator.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Top Bottom