Got into another home improvement project

@rjs987 So in your endeavors have you run across this?

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 7.45.00 AM.png

Um, thankfully NO. The person responsible for that configuration should be shot. But I have run into old "house" wiring that was stranded wire (NOT good for house wiring) and just twisted together with existing Romex wires covered in old black tape that was barely hanging on. Someone else mentioned that setup somewhere as well. This was in my son's first house when I was looking into why a bathroom fan and light would both come on together but the other switch did nothing even though it was wired in the box.

All done with the upper level.
New decorator outlets around the kitchen and dining area. Mostly just to replace the old yellowed outlets with new fresh white ones to match the newly painted white cabinets (the white cabinets made those old outlets look even more yellowed).
All new decorator switches everywhere in the main level of the house. 15 three way switches and 21 single pole switches were removed. 13 three way switches were installed (combined 2 light banks in the kitchen into 1 bank). All the old 3 way switches looked to be in good condition but all were replaced to match the single pole switches being put in as well as to satisfy SWMBO who has wanted decorator switches all around for awhile now. Besides, some of the boxes were a combination of single pole and 3 way switches so it made sense to replace those.
21 single pole switches were installed. 15 of those old single pole switches were broken or cracked. When I pulled some of those from the boxes, before attempting to pull the wires from them, at least one wire fell out and was just hanging in the box even though the switch was still working before I started. That part was the most scary.

Next week I think I might start doing the same on the lower level of the house. I installed most of those switches myself 23 years ago when I finished the lower level and used a different grade of switches. But in the interest of being consistent I'll replace them all with the same as what I used on the upper level.

I'll leave the rest of the outlets throughout the house as they are until my wife "asks" me to replace them. And then that project will hopefully (we'll see) become maybe possibly a bargaining item for a bike accessory I've been wanting.

I'll meet your switch replacements and raise you a new leveled board-on-board cedar fence... lol

Phase 1 - add kickboards aka rot boards to the bottom of the fence. Had to find a place that sold pole extensions since there was no way I was gonna dig up each one and reinstall a longer pole, I'd be doing that for 2 months.

20231124_111327.jpg

.. and, since my back yard drops at the alley, my intention was to level the fence which required more kickboards.

20231125_100514.jpg20231126_143918.jpg20231128_170924.jpg

That was a long weekend!!!

Phase 2 - Replace existing fence - still in progress...

20231202_114204.jpg20231202_114210.jpg20231202_125754.jpg

Phase 3 - in progress - I wanted to see how the stain would look so I sprayed the few sections I finished... I'm surprised how well it's coming and no blood yet, a few splinters though...

20231203_115719.jpg

5 sections done... 10 more to go and 2 gates to construct...
Finally finished and stained. It's not a professional job but the labor was dirt cheap...

20231211_131402.jpg

Back
Top Bottom