GPS mount broke, made a better one

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
The axle on the mounting ball on my Garmin C330 broke. I could order a new suction cup mount for $30, but mounting on my ST1100 would be less than desirable. I mounted the original suction cup mount on my clutch cover with a zip tie. Worked for 4K miles on a trip out west this year, but I still wanted something better.

It pays to have a really talented friend that also owns a machine shop. We went to thinking (dangerous when I do it:confused:) and came up with this. He machined an aluminum piece to substitute for the broken ball with a brass mounting pin. I had an extra clutch reservoir cover and he machined an aluminum piece that is bolted to the clutch reservoir to mount the GPS. He made another aluminum piece mounted to the original suction cup arm to accept the GPS for auto use. I plan to laminate circular wood pieces the size of a soft drink can to mount the suction cup to and use drink holders instad of sticking to the windshield when in the auto.

The GPS was always shaky and wobbled on the mount when on the bike. It's rock solid now and looks clean when removed.

When something breaks, give it some thought and maybe you can come up with something better than the original

Ralph Sims

Attachments

Top Bottom