GPSmap 478 - specific wiring question

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Garmin GPSMAP 478 has 5 or 6 small wires coming from that 5-pin plug that goes directly to the unit - is it as simple as red = power, black = ground?
I should have taken a picture, I'll Edit and add tonight. I would like to connect it to the Q-harness that will arrive this weekend or Monday; I have the connectors and blades to fit properly.
Believe the extra wires are for an external antenna, and live traffic which I won't subscribe to, and other things that I won't use.
Secondarily, when I had it hard-wired to my KTM 950, it would run the battery flat if I didn't ride the bike at least every 2 - 3 days... it's a vampire drain, even when switched OFF. Which is too bad, because there are times I would like to leave it ON to record stopped time on a trip, etc. Even other IBA riders on the ST1300 reported it would drain these batteries, as well.
So I guess I'll just wire it to a Switched connector on the Q-harness, although it's not my ideal. Surely if the bike itself is switched OFF, it can't siphon off the sleeping electrons? I forget.
Ideally, someone here will have used the specific 478, wired specifically to the ST1300. Or 1100.
Don't want to use an accessory plug; have other things in mind, and I want the flexibility.
Too bad it's discontinued, as it has some features in tracking, etc., that the newer consumer-oriented GPS units have eliminated. But I haven't used it in a year, and I have some older units and some newer ones too, so it's gotten to be a chore just keeping all the power cords and adapters organized.
I know, I know... first-world problems.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thank you, @paulcb.
Just call me EMOTO*.
I knew that - but wasn't focused. I have a downloaded copy on this here drive, somewhere's...
So, probably Switched power is the way to go? Not in a hurry to replace this new-ish battery.

*Eventual Master Of The Obvious

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I installed a Fuzeblock to run all my farkles (two GPS, camera system, voltmeter and USB ports). It powers up when I turn on the key. I also installed a SPDT switch for the Fuzeblock so I can power up all my farkles without turning on my bike. The only thing not running through my Fuzeblock is my heated gear connector... it's connected straight to the battery with a fuse.

Also, not sure about your 478, but with Garmin Zumo's (I have a 396 LMT-S), a normal press of the on/off button just puts it to sleep. To actually turn it off, you need to press and hold until a screen comes up saying it's shutting off.

Top Bottom