gravity fed fuel tank

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wound up getting this from Amazon.
That looks nicer than the MotionPro bottle I bought from Revzilla/Cycle Gear. Your shut off valve, if it does not leak beats the clamp I got for mine. And yours was cheaper.

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Getting back to this problem with the ‘91 now that the garage has warmed up a bit.

Hanging the above fuel container from Amazon has been a good decision. Connected it up to the fuel filter, opened the petcock, fuel flowed to the carbs, hit the starter, and the bike started right up after not having been started for at 2 years due to:
no power to the fuel pump

Ran well until I backed off choke (enricher), when it would immediately quit. Has never done this in the past. Air cleaner is off and gas tank is still in the basement.
Would not running without choke have anything to do with fuel delivery via gravity rather than a fuel pump?
IMG_20240414_174715.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ran well until I backed off choke (enricher), when it would immediately quit. Has never done this in the past. Air cleaner is off and gas tank is still in the basement.
Would not running without choke have anything to do with fuel delivery via gravity rather than a fuel pump?
IMG_20240414_174715.jpg
Sounds like low speed (idle) jets are clogged up from sitting.
It will probably run if you give it throttle - it just won't idle without the fuel enricher 'on'.

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Sounds like low speed (idle) jets are clogged up from sitting.
I thought about the low speed jets, but it has been sitting with the carbs completely devoid of any fuel. So figured they were likely ok?
Not interested in messing with the carbs.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought about the low speed jets, but it has been sitting with the carbs completely devoid of any fuel. So figured they were likely ok?
May not be but sure sounds like the 'standard' issue with a ST1100 sitting.
But it could be due to lack of fuel pressure.
Will it rev up fine or does it starve out?

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
How you emptied carbs makes difference.

1. did you just opened drain screws and emptied float bowls?

2. did you also run bike until it dies? Even with drained bowls, there’s still petrol in carb’s jets and secret hidden passages. So need to run bike until it sucks out all petrol from all locations. When carbs are truly empty, engine will die. Ready for storage!

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
How you emptied carbs makes difference.

1. did you just opened drain screws and emptied float bowls?

2. did you also run bike until it dies? Even with drained bowls, there’s still petrol in carb’s jets and secret hidden passages. So need to run bike until it sucks out all petrol from all locations. When carbs are truly empty, engine will die. Ready for storage!
Don't remember. I think I did both.
So no need to open the drain screws if run until it dies?

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Will it rev up fine or does it starve out?
Haven't yet been able to check this out. I can't let the hanging fuel flow because it seems that a bowl drain screw is not closing completely. I think #1. Gas coming out the drain hose at the bottom of the bike.
Once I actually find the screws it's difficult to get a (long) screwdriver on them confidently (at the right angle so they will open and close properly). Looks like I may unfortunately have to pop off the carbs to better check the damn drain screws. What a waste of time for such a stupid problem.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Haven't yet been able to check this out. I can't let the hanging fuel flow because it seems that a bowl drain screw is not closing completely. I think #1. Gas coming out the drain hose at the bottom of the bike.
Once I actually find the screws it's difficult to get a (long) screwdriver on them confidently (at the right angle so they will open and close properly). Looks like I may unfortunately have to pop off the carbs to better check the damn drain screws. What a waste of time for such a stupid problem.
And I will warn you - those drain screw heads are made out of 'cheese' and are slotted not JIS.
Very easy to round one out if they are stuck.

Top Bottom