Grease Compatibilty & Purge the old

Merry Xmas everyone.

I know what you wanted for Xmas - Nah, not a pair of socks or a new farkle but another Oil/Grease thread. So put away that popcorn and munch turkey instead.

As you know Honda recommends a (poly)urea based grease for the steering headstock bearings. Well I came across an interesting video on the dangers of not puging the old grease and mixing with the new.

Stay safe!

Paul

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Interesting video. I’m glad he used 2 Lucus products, instead of bashing a competitor.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Grease compatibility issues have always been there. It is not much of an issue with headstock bearings. Since they need to be removed to re-grease them properly anyway it makes no sense not to thoroughly clean them. But for bearings having zirk grease fittings it is something that is often overlooked.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
:plus1: on what Lee just posted. I've found the Poly Urea grease to be the best grease I've used on ST1300 steering head bearings/races.
Its commonly known as "the life of the bearing grease". I use it on swingarm bearings and steering stem bearings with outstanding results...AFTER I completely clean and purge everything out of course :thumb:.
On my Harley CVO Road King, I cleaned and repacked the steering head bearings, removed all the old crappy HD grease, then pumped the zirk fitting (filling the steering head completely full of Poly Urea grease, until nothing came out of both the top and the bottom but fresh teal colored grease.
Even in Arizona heat, the Poly Urea grease does not bleed or drip down from the bearings onto the steering head like other grease(s) do.
Mobil Polyrex EP2 Grease is what I've been using with outstanding results....
Just don't mix it with any other grease :WCP1:

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
How much grease is required when replacing the steering head bearings in a ST100 with tapered bearings.
And can this Mobil Polyrex EP2 Grease be had in a small quantity?

I've used this great bicycle grease frequently for years, but likely not appropriate for this application?

qhg3t2-1.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
How much grease is required when replacing the steering head bearings in a ST100 with tapered bearings.
And can this Mobil Polyrex EP2 Grease be had in a small quantity?
The Mobil grease is an extreme pressure grease, and I'm not sure you need that. The Honda Manual simply calls for 'grease'. My guess is that any good wheel bearing grease will be sufficient. I found the Mobil EP grease all over ebay (but you have to buy multiple tubes or 5 gallon buckets of it. Amazon had it for $35/standard tube. Each bearing is going to take no more than an ounce or so, but you will take a bigger dollop in your hand when you pack the bearings. I usually wipe the excess off my hands (ok vinyl gloves) rather than return it to the can and possibly contaminate the container.

I think we all overthink greases, oils, and batteries. YMMV and YGMV (grease might vary)

Top Bottom