GWRRA and Wing Ding is no more!

Bike
2010 ST1300
If this is true it should not shock anyone. Our group that meets once a week the youngest guy is probably 65 and the oldest Sam is about 83. No young riders in our group. Same way with any motorcycle gathering. Harly Davidson Honda Yamaha you name it. Right now the Old guys are the ones supporting the sport of motorcycling riding. As we age out who will replace us?
Not entirely true. The New Cumberland WVa Moto Guzzi Rally drew something over 200 bikes back in '98. While it has been dead for years, last year and this year a young IT guy showed up on his Guzzi. The Western NY rally, (which I did not attend) has, in the past attracted some younger folks, and this year I heard roughly 80 people signed up. No question, most of us are graying and a lot of clubs will be fading away....

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If I get to ride 20 more years I'll be tickled to death - cause I'll be pushing 90 years old then! :biggrin:
I, for one, hope that ARE riding then, BUT!... only if YOU want to be riding then.
'Cuz you, I, and others see this ole world steamrolling itself straight to hell.
But I'm just ornery enough to want to keep riding for that long, just to see it.
Lastly, hard as it may be for some to believe, I still remain an unflinching optimist.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I, for one, hope that ARE riding then, BUT!... only if YOU want to be riding then.
'Cuz you, I, and others see this ole world steamrolling itself straight to hell.
But I'm just ornery enough to want to keep riding for that long, just to see it.
Lastly, hard as it may be for some to believe, I still remain an unflinching optimist.
...again... everything goes in cycles (see what I did there, again?)..

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
.. on a postiive note, this means we won't see as many 2-up riders wearing matching shoes/shorts/Hawaiian shirts on the roads...

Ad a Teacher here in the Lone Star, I hear yall lament about the youth not finding interest in Motorcycles.
And so many of my students are very interested I. Them as they are in Miltary Services. As a veteran and a rider, I find fault in those who will not engage the youth and give them an opportunity to explore new things without harsh judgements of course. Save that for Boot Camp!

Ad a Teacher here in the Lone Star, I hear yall lament about the youth not finding interest in Motorcycles.
And so many of my students are very interested I. Them as they are in Miltary Services. As a veteran and a rider, I find fault in those who will not engage the youth and give them an opportunity to explore new things without harsh judgements of course. Save that for Boot Camp!
Please forgive my big @$$ finger type os!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I was a member of GWRRA for one year, following the purchase of my ‘08 Wing. After joining, I was contacted by phone, by a nice lady in the local chapter. Nice personal touch, I thought. Her main reason for calling was to explain the monthly pot-luck dinner, held at various member‘s home. Then she proceeded to tell me where to order the shirts and embroidered jackets that matched the local chapter members.

The kicker was the ride I was invited to join, to Lambert’s in Sikeston, MO. Just 160 miles, one way. They were leaving on a Friday, riding part way, staying overnight and arriving at Lambert’s on Saturday. Then ride partway home, overnight again, and get home on Sunday. When I suggested to leave Saturday morning, eat lunch in Sikeston, and get home before dark, she said I was crazy, or something to that effect. Nope, never made it to the pot-luck dinner.

Went to 1 Wing Ding, when it was in Nashville…..Meh.

John

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Top Bottom