Handy lift with air bag, minimum compressor requirement?

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
I've just purchased a Handy motorcycle lift Standard1200 (the S.A.M was sold out and next run is in June I was told).
I'm wanting to know what is the minimum size of air compressor that will operate the lift satisfactorily. I called Handy and the lady I talked to said she thought about 10 gal tank and 90 PSI.
I have a small Husky 135PSI 1.75gal compressor that works for everything I normally need and while it probably would have worked for the previous model Handy I don't think it would be ideal with the air bags. Anyone have any experience with this ?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Insufficient data. Is there a CFM@ PSI requirement called out in the instructions?

your compressor will probably work it, albeit at a slow pace.

OP
OP
rdmsttrav
Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
I take delivery of the lift tomorrow, I should have mentioned that above
The information they gave me over the phone was it needs to have below psi and she said it would probably would need a 10 gallon tank. I agree insufficient data. I'm hoping there will be something in the paperwork with the lift...thanks.
  • Air source: 90-100 PSI

I'm guessing that the lift company specs 10 gal tank to avoid complaints about how slow it would be with any tank smaller that their bladder.
You might consider getting an aux air tank to fill in advance and refill while working on your bike (if you will be raising & lowering).

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The website only give the required PSI you need. Like has been said you need the PSI to get the lift. The volume determines how fast you lift it up.

Think of filling a kiddie pool with water from a straw or a garden hose, both at the same pressure. One will be faster, but both will fill it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
What's 'the S.A.M'?
Handy Lift shows the SAM 1200 and the Standard 1200. The former is 4" wider and 24 lbs. heavier. Interesting they do not tell you what SAM stands for, but since they have the RAM, SAM, BOB and Gruntavore lifts, one can only assume each is named after a different employee.:biggrin: They tell you the BUL is a big utility lift.

OP
OP
rdmsttrav
Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
The main two differences I can see with the SAM lift is that its 84x24 and the Standard lift is 80x24, difference in weight, but also on the SAM lift there is a drop out panel on the tail end for changing tires. The Standard doesn't have the drop out panel.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The main two differences I can see with the SAM lift is that its 84x24 and the Standard lift is 80x24, difference in weight, but also on the SAM lift there is a drop out panel on the tail end for changing tires. The Standard doesn't have the drop out panel.
I missed that. Good eye!

OP
OP
rdmsttrav
Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
Fortunately/Unfortunately the air compressor that I have works just fine, starts itself up when it needs a boost but is able to do a lift and let down just fine. My wife was in her home office today adjacent to the garage. As I tested it out with the bike on it she came out to see what the noise was...she saw it work so no talking her into a new one. I'm good though it works.
I think I will spring for the wheel vise though, even though I like using the center stand I was a little nervous without the extra support the vise might give.
IMG_2276.jpegIMG_2276.jpegIMG_2277.jpegIMG_2276.jpeg

Top Bottom