Handy SAM 1000 m/c LIFT

Dave Austin

Silver Bullet
This past Tuesday morning yellow freight delievered my new Handy SAM 1000.

In short order I uncrated three large cardboard boxes. The lift table in one box, the 8" side extenders in another box, and the front wheel vise in yet a third box.

Assembly was minimal. Add the side extenders, the vise, attach the compressor to the lift, touch the foot pedal and the table lifted 30" high.

Went to a skate board shop and purchased about $50.00 worth of grip tap two days prior and this stuff comes in 8"wide by 36" long strips for about $5.00 a sheet. It adheres very very well. Much cheaper than most hardware stores.. I think. Laid out the grip tape for a general idea of what design pattern I wanted. Than cut the tape to fit the side extenders and areas that I would be placing my feet when guiding the bike onto the lift. (sitting on it of course.) Placed a neat strip of the grip tape down the center of the lift table to give the tires a place to bite. Kept thinking an oily or wet tire could make for an interesting ride off the new lift table top. Hence, I choose to add the grip tape.

After all the grip tape was down, I gave the lift its first test. With a buddy assisting and his watchful eye present I carefully guided the ST onto the lift table. All went well with about 1" clearance. I backed the ST off the lift and than loaded the GL1800 Wing. All went well everything cleared nicely.

Its important to always put your kickstand up when backing down off the lift table. If not you risk a large scratch, I was lucky my buddy gave me this pointer as well prior to me backing off the lift with both bikes. Also its not a good idea to leave the bikes front wheel in the lift vise all night either. You can easily place it on its center stand and not worry about the weight of the bike being supported by the front forks. Just to make sure the forks don't get tweaked.. if this makes sense.

The lift came with two bolt on tie down rings. I am adding two addtional. I like tieing the bike down at four points. Maybe this is over kill, I just can't imagine a bike tipping over on a lift table 30" in the air. Run Forest run!

I have to say this lift is a luxury for me. But having two bikes now I know I will be using it for all of the light maintanence I will be doing. Oil changes, tire changes, and deep cleaning of the bikes as well. Its great not to have to bend over or lay on the garage floor. Hope this helps if anyone is considering a Table Lift. If there are any questions I can help with please let me know.

Good Luck,
Dave:03biker:

This is on my "must have" list. Great idea!

A couple or 3 questions if you don't mind ...

How big a compressor do you need? Does it operate smoothly - no jerkiness?

Do you put the bike on the center stand when its on the lift?

Is there a need to secure the base somehow before use?

Thanks for posting - & pics would be nice

Lift Answers

Paul,

Great job on the lift answers. I concur with all you mentioned. A friend of mine has a handy lift and suggested not to leave the bike in the vise for an extended period.

He said, if the bike should lean one way or the other while tightened into the vise, this would mean that much of the weight of the bike is now supported by the forks which are now feeling the pressure or weight of the bike as it is leaning. He is an engineer so I think he has a point. The bottom line here is to make sure the bike is straight up when you use the vise. I have already decided not to make it a practice to leave the bike locked in the vise for any extended period. I place it up on the center stand when I am through working on it in the evening. I have not secured my tie down rings yet, when I do I will use the center stand more often. The lift really is a luxury in my world, I have never had one. It makes cleaniing a breeze.

As for pics, I am not the worlds best when it comes to up loading pics to a site. I may give it a try this weekend. Thanks for everyones comments and input.

Dave :03biker:

Handy Lift

Torlang-

You can purchase it through an authorized Handy dealer in your area, or I think you can go factory direct. (See the link below.) I purchased mine through an authorized dealer in Atlanta Ga. Wicked cycles inc. The lift was delievered within a week and a half. Excellent customer service. You will get a tracking number and the freight company will call you and set up delivery.

Having the lift now for two weeks, I have to say I am really glad I made the purchase. As mentioned a luxury, yes, but it sure makes cleaning and maintenence much easier on the back. The SAM 1000 easily accomodates my Wing and ST. I went to a skate board shop and purchased about 45.00 worth of the "board grip paper" and cut and applied this to the areas on the lift that my feet will come in contact with when placing either bike on the lift table. Also added a strip of grip tape down the center of the table and the ramp of the tire path. It all works well. Hope this helps.

Dave:03biker:

http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/subdepartment_view.asp?D=1&S=21

Back
Top Bottom