Hardware Store

Bike
2010 ST1300
I get to visit England for a couple weeks and am in need of a 90mm M6x1.25 countersunk socket bolt.
Best place to look?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Most M6 threads are 6 X 1.00mm so this is a pretty coarse thread - Are you sure it is a M6 and not a M8 as most M8 are 8 x 1.25mm

What is this for?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm not clear on your description. Countersinking is what one does to the material so that the bolt head is flush or below the surface of the bolted item. Do you mean a bolt with a hex recess - often called an allen head bolt?

Like this:Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 9.58.31 PM.png

You should be able to find that at any large hardware store - the bigger the store the more likely they will have what you want. Lowes and Home Depot will probably have these...single bolt bagged and labeled with a price like a buck or two. Any fastener house, like Fastenall will also have these, but they might only sell them by the box.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
agree with the previous comment that 6mm 1.00 thread pitch is standard, and 0.75 is fine thread, but there's no 1.25mm coarse that I'm aware of.

when I check for phillips or hex drive the 90mm length isn't available, and they have a pretty massive selection.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm not clear on your description. Countersinking is what one does to the material so that the bolt head is flush or below the surface of the bolted item. Do you mean a bolt with a hex recess - often called an allen head bolt?

You should be able to find that at any large hardware store - the bigger the store the more likely they will have what you want. Lowes and Home Depot will probably have these...single bolt bagged and labeled with a price like a buck or two. Any fastener house, like Fastenall will also have these, but they might only sell them by the box.
I interpreted his description to be something like this type of head:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
What has this got to do with your trip.....??????

April fool...???

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
Most M6 threads are 6 X 1.00mm so this is a pretty coarse thread - Are you sure it is a M6 and not a M8 as most M8 are 8 x 1.25mm

What is this for?
I wasn't able to find my pitch gauge nor thread an M6x1.0 die onto the bolt I have so I guessed 1.25 pitch. May very well be a1.0.
I have a set of Barkbuster Blizzard handguards. The stock bolt is~50mm but with the guards I need an additional 40mm. They come with a counter sunk washer but in the US I'm not able to source what I'm looking for.

I have a 90mm M6x1 socket head currently. I would like the clean look of a flush bolt.

I interpreted his description to be something like this type of head:

Yes, stainless would be preferred.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I was able to find the 90mm length in stainless, with countersunk head, but it has a regular slotted head. I posted a link to it earlier, but you didn't mention it in your reply, is slotted head a non-starter? What I found in a quick search was the slotted head type was the only thing available at 90mm length, the max lengths for the other head types were shorter.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
How about something like these?

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
There aren't many places you can walk into and just pick bolts up anymore.
It's the interweb thingymabob innit.
Where are you going too, towns etc, England or Scotland?
Check out...
Upt.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
There aren't many places you can walk into and just pick bolts up anymore.
It's the interweb thingymabob innit.
Where are you going too, towns etc, England or Scotland?
Check out...
Upt.
London and then up to Newmilns and then Edinburgh.

Bike
VStrom 650
Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a 90mm M6x1 socket head currently. I would like the clean look of a flush bolt.
McMaster Carr has everything. I think you said you have a socket head allen screw but you want a countersunk screw (aka Flat Head). That means you have the hole countersunk, right? If the hole is counterbored (flat bottom) a countersunk screw will only make contact at one point and might not hold as well.

Regardless, McMaster has what you need, but their prices are mostly straight list - no discounts. If you have to order something from them ASK what the postage will be!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't ask, you might be unpleasantly surprised.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
McMaster Carr has every type of M6 bolt and screw with socket head, flat head with socket etc. etc. in all materials including stainless.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
McMaster Carr has every type of M6 bolt and screw with socket head, flat head with socket etc. etc. in all materials including stainless.
interesting.

For stainless countersunk hex drive heads they have longer lengths than the place I linked, but for stainless countersunk head with slotted drive they have less length options. Seems like there's no one source that has everything under the sun, there's a different best source for each head and metal style.

Top Bottom