Have you had a Slider fail?

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I am doing some maintenance this winter and wonder how often the carb sliders actually go bad. I know it is a good preventative measure but at $100 a pop I wounder if it is really warranted.
So,,have you had a slider go bad and at what mileage?
Thanks,Mark

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Mark,
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm not worried and mine are '91s and I would replace them when they fail with the spare '91s I have. If a diaphragm or all 4 fail, you can still ride the bike home. Probably run at least 60mph or maybe more. I had a Vulcan 750 V-twin and I rode it for a year before I realized that neither slide was working. Just didn't know the bike's performance. I could keep up with my Buddy's Intruder. I actually pulled a few Harleys from stop light to stoplight. After I fixed them you really couldn't tell the difference till 6000rpm, above 6k Oh Yea.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Thanks Ralph, I was not going to worry about it, and then it was brought to my attention as a possible prophylactic measure. Not needing more places to spend $ now I will likely pass. Just wanted to ask the collective.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I would not worry too much about them. I have restored several 35+ year old bikes and the original slide diaphragms were fine. It really is amazing how long these things last given what they do and the environment they are in.

Bike
92 ST1100
+1 what bd said...............own 30yr.old XS11 Venturer 1100 from new and they still work to perfection..........normally never an issue as long as the diaphrams don't have pin holes in them....would imagine that can be checked same as on the Yammy Mikuni carb bank........find the diaphram vent(one of those openings on the carb bell(inlet). Lift slide manually then hold finger over vent and see that slide slowly drops same or close to same on all four carbs.......easiest way I know and is a tell-tale red flag...........repalce ment of slides themself?............not uless your bored to tears and got deep pockets...........

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Mark, I've had 5 go bad, all on ReSTored. Found all four torn after a trip in 2009. Bike ran poorly but got me to Illinois and back home. Mileage was down and wouldn't pull beyond 80 MPH. Replaced all four, then found another one bad some months later. That was on a 91 with >150K miles. Still blame Iowa gas for that one.

I wouldn't do a prophylactic change, too expensive. You might try what I did, tho, buy a set of used carbs just for the diaphragms and keep'em in limbo 'til ya need them. I have three spares now in a zip lock in my closet. STrayCatt did the same and has'em avilable.

I bought a really crappy set of carbs from Don, had been under water for a while so not even worth salvaging EXCEPT for the diaphragms. Just a thought.

Also, there is a company in England who makes replacement diaphragms, nothing specifically for our STs tho. Been meaning to send them one of my defunct pieces to see if they will come up with something for us. Maybe this will tickle my 'round-to-it. :D

SilverSTreak

Bill Royal
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I had to replace them on my '91 - it was back in July of '09 and I had 200K on her then.

I had noted that for about a year or more prior to, my fuel mileage and performance had been dropping, especially at altitude. I recall that on a trip to Colorado, I had a hard time keeping an idle, but it wasn't a problem when I returned to Florida. When I replaced all 4 of them I noted the following in my maintenance log: Replaced Carb Slider diaphragms - # 1 & 2 were badly torn, #3 had a slight crack and #4 appeared intact.

About 18 months later, at 259K I crashed on my way to Stagecoach 2010.

I do have the carbs now off the bike, with the practically new sliders in them, along with the installed bellcrank to run a cruise control - would prolly let them go for something in the neighborhood of $350 (which is still less than what I paid for the 4 carb sliders...)

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Thanks for the info Bill. 259K :bow1: My 01 only has 98K so I should be good as long as I don't fill up much in George's favorite state for gas, my home state of Iowa.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I did George, and I think the only answer is that you ride too much. :D I hate to say it but if I started having as much trouble with carbs as you have in the past few years, I may have to consider a test ride on that new fanged ST so many guys seam to like. ;)

Top Bottom