Having trouble removing the left front caliper

Bike
ST1300
I am bleeding the brakes on my 2004 ST1300A, and I am at the step where you are supposed to remove the left front caliper and tilt it. I removed the two allen head bolts that would seem to hold it together and the top part of the bracket came loose, but the bottom will not budge. You can rotate it slightly, but of course not in the right direction. Is there some other bolt that I should be removing?

Thanks

Jim

Bike
2007 ST1300
Should be just the two bolts that hold the smc bracket. One at the top and one at the bottom that it pivots on. Pull'em out and slide it off.
Don't forget to put a shim between the pads when you get it off.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300
Thanks blueSTormer. When I looked inside of the lower hole I saw the inner sleeve that you referred to, and I wondered if that might be the problem. I just checked and the inner sleeve on mine is about 5/16" in from the outboard side of the bolt housing. I'm guessing that I need to bring it back toward the outboard side, and also that I will have to remove the front wheel to do so. Am I on the right track?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Yes Jim, right track. :) My bike's collar is a slight interferance fit on the bolt itself ... when I removed the bolt, the collar comes with it (exposing the needle bearings beneath). So be careful with the collar ... if it comes out make sure you don't get dirt in there.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Alot of times these bushings also show signs of galding and wear. If so, you can sometimes clean them off this a scotchbrite pad. Be sure to Pack the needle bearings with fresh grease while your there. If these things run dry, they bind and cause the SMC to activate, thus causing the rear brake to drag.
You'll also notice that the top mounting bolt goes through a fibre washer, while the lower one is steel on steel.
Be sure you tighten the lower one first to 23 ft. lbs IIRC, then the top one. Same with removing them, always do the lower one first or you'll damage the fibre fitting on top.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The service manual actually cautions about removing the bottom bolt first because doing so may damage the SMC joint (pushrod) when trying to remove the bottom first. If the upper bolt is removed first and installed last it avoids strain on the pushrod.

The lower sleeve is the outer race of the needle bearing and Should be free to move in and out of the caliper bracket. Like previously posted the race can slide out of place and keep the caliper bracket from coming off the mounting lug. Honda says to replace these bolts each time they are removed. I do not and prefer to replace them after 3 or 4 times but I do use medium removable Loctite on the threads. I caution that use of Loctite on the lower bolt threads can glue the bolt to the inner race. The next time it is removed the inner race comes out with the bolt and the needles can fall out. Dont ask me how I know this. Apply the Loctite but apply it to the female threads of the caliper brackets - not to the bolt threads.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The service manual actually cautions about removing the bottom bolt first because doing so may damage the SMC joint (pushrod) when trying to remove the bottom first. If the upper bolt is removed first and installed last it avoids strain on the pushrod.

The lower sleeve is the outer race of the needle bearing and Should be free to move in and out of the caliper bracket. Like previously posted the race can slide out of place and keep the caliper bracket from coming off the mounting lug. Honda says to replace these bolts each time they are removed. I do not and prefer to replace them after 3 or 4 times but I do use medium removable Loctite on the threads. I caution that use of Loctite on the lower bolt threads can glue the bolt to the inner race. The next time it is removed the inner race comes out with the bolt and the needles can fall out. Dont ask me how I know this. Apply the Loctite but apply it to the female threads of the caliper brackets - not to the bolt threads.
Would you be so kind as to refer me to the page/chapter of the OEM Service manual that cautions you about removing the bottom bolt first. I just checked my 03-08 manual and couldn't find any warning or sequence about removal or instalation of the left caliper mounting bolts. What your saying does make sense, its just not what I was shown. I'm pretty sure I read every page that detailed removal and instalation of the caliper mounting bolts, both in the brake caliper section, and the SMC section. What am I missing?
Thanks
Igofar

Top Bottom