headlight issues 1300

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
We have had a 2006 1300 for about a year now. The headlights are acting up. On the right side, I have low beam, but if I go to high beam, it blows the fuse, which I believe is the left fuse block (forward one) in the picture. The left headlight stopped working completely. I changed the bulb but soon as i turn the key on low beam or high beam, it blows the fuse (right fuse block, or rear fuse block) Any ideas where to check. Its obviously a short somewhere but cannot figure it out. Any experience is appreciated.

Attachments

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
No offense but judging on the pic and amount of dirt and grime - I’d start by cleaning up a bit under the seat and under the plastic. It’s something I do every year in winter - just my preference Inspect your connections and wires that you can see. Pull the headlight connectors off and check wires and for corrosion on the connector. Pull the switch off and inspect it for function and if good clean it up. You may have rodent damage or a wire that melted into ground or another wire. Otherwise grab a volt meter and let the hunt begin. Best of luck

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
As John pointed out, clean and inspect all connections first.
I would also check the bulbs themselves, and clean the connections and starter switch in the handlebar housing.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
My two cents.
Give a look at the harness under the T. Do you have a bar riser installed and pulling too much on the wires?
Rodents?
A loose pilot wire used in the past for auxiliary light relay?
I would also suspect a broken insulation and wire cores touching the frame.
Last, a burned relay staying closed.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you have halogen bulbs (not LED's) they have been known to short out when the filament breaks. Remove the 3 conductor plug from the back of both bulbs and see if that clears the short.

I do think however, that with all the dirt, you have a problem elsewhere, as stated above.

OP
OP
yuergenb

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
So you're blowing TWO fuses?
blowing right side fuse when i put on high beams. The left side is intermittent as im testing it. I seem to have it working on low beam. Not going to put on high until i get some more fuses.

OP
OP
yuergenb

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
No offense but judging on the pic and amount of dirt and grime - I’d start by cleaning up a bit under the seat and under the plastic. It’s something I do every year in winter - just my preference Inspect your connections and wires that you can see. Pull the headlight connectors off and check wires and for corrosion on the connector. Pull the switch off and inspect it for function and if good clean it up. You may have rodent damage or a wire that melted into ground or another wire. Otherwise grab a volt meter and let the hunt begin. Best of luck
The picture looks much worse than it is. Because I used a flash. Its no different than any used bike.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Don't just replace fuses. As mentioned elsewhere, replace fuse with incandescent bulb. Which will light up when short would normally blow fuse.

Then measure resistance-to-ground of each segment of wiring in both low and high-beam circuits. Start unplugging from end of circuit upwards (starting at bulb). When short disappears, problem is between that junction and previous one. Examine that segment much more closely end-to-end all 360-degrees around wiring. Something's touching ground where it shouldn't.

OP
OP
yuergenb

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
If you have halogen bulbs (not LED's) they have been known to short out when the filament breaks. Remove the 3 conductor plug from the back of both bulbs and see if that clears the short.

I do think however, that with all the dirt, you have a problem elsewhere, as stated above.
I have led lights on both sides but thanks

OP
OP
yuergenb

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
My two cents.
Give a look at the harness under the T. Do you have a bar riser installed and pulling too much on the wires?
Rodents?
A loose pilot wire used in the past for auxiliary light relay?
I would also suspect a broken insulation and wire cores touching the frame.
Last, a burned relay staying closed.
There is a riser, yes, as the bike came when we bought it. I will inspect that. Thanks. I am suspecting same thing and have tried to inspect and follow as much wire as is possible. So far nothing yet.

OP
OP
yuergenb

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Don't just replace fuses. As mentioned elsewhere, replace fuse with incandescent bulb. Which will light up when short would normally blow fuse.

Then measure resistance-to-ground of each segment of wiring in both low and high-beam circuits. Start unplugging from end of circuit upwards (starting at bulb). When short disappears, problem is between that junction and previous one. Examine that segment much more closely end-to-end all 360-degrees around wiring. Something's touching ground where it shouldn't.
That was my thought also. Just trying to find what the reading should be.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
LED lights often have a cooling fan If one of them has failed circuit or has something stopping the fan it would certainly cause issues like described. I think some one said to start with a fresh set - halogen or led. If you have a pair of OEM bulbs see if it does the same thing.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
That was my thought also. Just trying to find what the reading should be.
Reading should be open-loop/no continuity/infinite ohms like measuring resistance of piece of wood. Shown on many meters as "OL" or "1". Meaning power-wire has no connection to ground.

What you'll measure is short-circuit which measures very low resistance such as 0.01 ohms or 0.20 ohms. Meaning some section of that power circuit is connected directly to ground without going through bulb 1st.

Through process of elimination by disconnecting sections of circuit, we can narrow down bad section. When you disconnect it, meter will go from low ohms (short-circuit) to infinite ohms/open-loop/no continuity. Then you know problem is between that junction you just disconnected and previous one.

Trick is to measure resistance without blowing fuse. This can be done by pulling fuse. But still need to trigger relays to connect headlight circuits. Then measure resistance between chassis-ground to power-wire after fuse. Will show short-circuit/low ohms

1. then disconnect bulb, does resistance change to open-loop?

2. then work upstream on power wire and disconnect next junction. does resistance change to open-loop?

3. trace upstream to next junction and unplug. does resistance change to open-loop?

Reason we measure is because we're not Superman and can see electrons moving inside wires. No human can just look at wire and determine its ability to conduct electricity. Luckily, we have instruments that can. :)

Last edited:

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Inquiring minds would like to know if problem discovered and resolution. Hoping the best for your issue

Top Bottom