Headlights not working.

Help needed! My headlights do not work, hi and Lo beam, yet I can still flash the high beam which eliminates a bad earth. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Did you check the headlight fuses?

The passing light and headlight are separately fused.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Yes I checked both fuses, thank you.
I did think it was unlikely that both fuses would have gone - but if they had, you'd have a separate underlying issue.

Sounds like it's time to get out the DeoxIT!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
This happened to my son once. It turned out that the right hand switch has a little piece of plastic in it that broke and that kept the headlights from coming on.

From our trip report (2014):

"...the starter switch is held together with a small nylon holder. The one side had cracked and wasn’t holding the switch together, allowing the contacts to lose connection..."

OP
OP
Mdawg
This happened to my son once. It turned out that the right hand switch has a little piece of plastic in it that broke and that kept the headlights from coming on.

"...the starter switch is held together with a small nylon holder. The one side had cracked and wasn’t holding the switch together, allowing the contacts to lose connection..."
Thanks I will look into that

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Clean your starter switch housing with plastic safe contact cleaner.

Had the starter switch stick on mine too. Took it apart and lubed it about 110000 miles ago, found it by just tugging on the rocker. Haven't had a problem since.

Reason the headlights shut off when switch is used clears the load to the starter and ecm. My Kawasaki zrx uses a coil to trip the relay for the headlight so the headlights won't come on till it is running, actually had to explain it to a dealer mech once. Switch on mine would start the bike but wouldn't release enough to turn the lights back .on

OP
OP
Mdawg
Clean your starter switch housing with plastic safe contact cleaner.
I just did that, everything is back to normal, thank you

Hi beam relay is OK. So, corrosion in the - headlight supply fuse, headlight switch (if you have one), Hi/Lo switch........?
It was a sticky start button, thank you for helping.

I did think it was unlikely that both fuses would have gone - but if they had, you'd have a separate underlying issue.

Sounds like it's time to get out the DeoxIT!
It was a sticky start button, thank you for helping.

Thank you, after reading your feedback, I had a sticking switch in the starter circuit. A bit of plastic safe contact cleaner and working great, thank you for your help.

Top Bottom