Hearing Aids

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I just got my second set of Costco hearing aides. The first ones lasted 6 years until I finally lost one in Italy last month. They are great and at $1399 are a bargain. They are made by Phonak, have the ability to connect to 8 bluetooth devices and are water resistant. I can adjust them with my phone. They are warranted for 36 months and it covers loss and damage for the entire 36 months also with free follow up visits and maintanence.

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Theoretically, a doc should not have irons in the fire and should be giving you the straight poop.
I completely agree. I also agree with being cynical. My ex worked at many doc offices, and drug reps and device reps that brought the best food were the ones that also provided the most samples. If your doc ever gives you a sample of a medication to try out or to help save you money, it was likely given to them by a rep. If it works out for you, you will want the same med. This was several years ago, so maybe the rules have changed, but it has stuck with me and made me the cynic I am! I am also sure there are honest ones out there, but I feel like they can still be subconsciously influenced by the sales pitches they get.

I think you are right about the head set too. That would just be boosting the volume most likely, which will just cause more hearing loss.
Once I have convinced myself that I need to look into the hearing aids, it is a matter of finding the best value (note I didn't say cheapest) rather than who is going to try to sell me something.

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Yes and no depending on the type. I’m a stage manager for opera, I need to wear a headset to call the show( tell the technicians when to do a cue). The “in the ear canal” work best in this situation as the headset muff covers the ear. So I use my old hearing aid for that purpose as my behind the ear as the microphone in it. I either have to put the muff over the hearing aid behind the ear, which is uncomfortable or nestle the hearing aid in my ear with the headset on top. Your employer might spring for a Bluetooth phone so that you can pair the hearing aid to the phone then you will have hands free
Thanks for your input. I never thought of those options. I knew about being able to Bluetooth them, but I had thought it was just to make adjustments or something. I didn't know you could just send the sound from the phone to the hearing aid. That is something to think about! I assume this would work for music, audio books as well? I do listen to audio books and I find that most authors use the same "reader" for all their books. I end up avoiding some of my favorite authors because I do not hear the voice as well as I would like.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Costco test-... I don’t think they’re looking to sell you something you don’t need.
I agree. Apropos of nothing- a friend was dragged by his fed-up wife to Costco for a hearing test. After they were tested she was told 2 things:

1) She had a significant hearing loss at some freqs
2) Her husband's hearing loss was highly selective.

:rofl1:

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
Sorry for bumping the thread but I'm looking for hearing aids for my Mom. The prices vary, and I wonder if a high price usually means high quality. What should I pay attention to? Maybe brand?

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
I've got Phonak, behind the ear version. It has the speaker in the ear instead of just piping sound via a tube to the ear. Having the speaker actually in the ear has made a great deal of difference for me. Also, it hooks to my cell phone via bluetooth so I can ask the phone, adjust the settings based on environment, etc. Price will vary, but if she needs hearing aids not hearing amplifiers I would go with a recognized brand and not something you only see in a magazine.

Sorry for bumping the thread but I'm looking for hearing aids for my Mom. The prices vary, and I wonder if a high price usually means high quality. What should I pay attention to? Maybe brand?
Good brand is definitely not a bad idea, but the model has also an important role. They can go inside the ear or the outside once, there are many different categories actually. Did you check for OTC hearing aids. They seem to be much more affordable. Maybe it is even better idea to make the final choice with the audiologist. They are professional in that and will help you to find something exactly for her needs.

Last edited:

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I've got Phonak, behind the ear version. It has the speaker in the ear instead of just piping sound via a tube to the ear. Having the speaker actually in the ear has made a great deal of difference for me. Also, it hooks to my cell phone via bluetooth so I can ask the phone, adjust the settings based on environment, etc. Price will vary, but if she needs hearing aids not hearing amplifiers I would go with a recognized brand and not something you only see in a magazine.
same here! not the best for listening to music while riding with compound helmet, but great for listening to music driving car. i can listen to my music and the gps and no one else can hear it

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
No problem w/ the bump. I talked to a Dr. of Aud. who was the daughter of a long time customer of my mechanic friend. She had recently married and moved back to Ohio from California and was now working for the VA. Since she was never going to treat me, I thought her comments were very useful. She (and two other D of A's) said any of the major brands are pretty much equivalent, regardless of their claims. As soon as one mfr comes up with an improvement, everyone else follows, maybe a few months behind.

I went to half a dozen places, and my costs varied from around $3000 to $4900, with one major hospital quoting $7000 - all for the same brand and model (last was clearly the list price). Your cost in the UK will be significantly different. The big problem for buying this high cost device is most laymen are not familiar with the hardware and features. The major manufacturers try to snow you with ad copy and terms that are meaningful only to them. The best you can do is read up ABOUT hearing aids online - there is a Lot of info out there. Pepper your audiologist with questions. In the end, its all about you having confidence in a good provider. I found that here, every provider was pushing one brand over all the others, but they would happily provide any brand I requested. For the top brands and within a given tier (or quality level) the price was either the same or varied only a little bit. The providers often did not know everything about the hardware they were selling. I've repeatedly managed to ask questions to my provider that she had to call support to answer - and this was her recommended brand.

Features features features. It is hard to know which ones are very useful before you have had the aids for a while, and my experience is probably not transferable to you. For example, my Oticon (brand) behind the ear aids not only link (BTooth) to my iPhone, but have 4 programs. One is noisy environment (restaurant) that emphasizes speach frequencies, another is auto that kills the left ear* (away from passenger), etc. I have found these differences to be subtle and not very useful. I do make frequent use of the phone to increase or decrease the volume, and since the phone is linked, I talk to people on the phone through my hearing aids - and listen to music.

Getting back to your question, in the US, there seem to be three levels - call them basic, featured, and loaded. Some providers call them silver, gold, platinum or by other names. Moving from brand to brand within one level should yield you similar features, but moving up or down will add or lose the gewgaws. The different levels are different qualities - at the low end the hearing aid might have a dozen separately adjustable frequency ranges, while the same brand's 'Platinum level might have two dozen ranges. The audiologist will program the hearing aid to boost the frequencies your ear has lost and will attenuate those frequencies you hear perfectly well. For some folks, the economy level works fine, for others, the Platinum or Deluxe level is perfect. Ask your provider your question, and listen closely to what he/she says and how your question is answered.

* My program will obviously be different than yours.

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
A little piece of advice for new HE wearers. I have had mine since 2008. I am on my third set. If you want to have a successful experience, and if you have loss of hearing for quite some time (mine started in the 5th grade) I'm in my 50s now, then consider what I experienced. Have them phased from a low setting up to the setting (prescription) that you need. Don't have them set to the prescription at first.

My audiologist said since I had not heard some sounds in a very long time, that we would have to phase the prescription from lower settings over a few weeks to the settings that matches my hearing loss (boost the sounds I cannot hear and leave the sounds I can hear un-boosted by the hearing aids which is called "the prescription"). If we didn't phase them in they would drive me crazy. She was right, even with phasing them in. So, immediately when turned on, I could hear things like the air blowing out of the over head vent. A radiator fan on a car outside the window, the mouse clicks and clicks on her keyboard. They would drive me crazy at the level I would need. Phase them in was her advice. I went back 3 more times in as many weeks to get them turned up a bit. Each week was torture. Every faintest noise drove me crazy. Keyboard clicks, conversations across a huge room filled with 200 co-workers, rattling of plastic trash can liners or plastic (like a potato chip bag). Each day after a few hours of this, I was ready to take the hearing aids off and never wear them again. I kept using them each day though. By the end of each phase (end of each week) my brain learned to tune out those annoying sounds, as she said it would, and focus only on what we all hear as normal. It took 4 weeks total and after that time, I don't even hear the annoying sounds anymore. To phase them in is key and, in my opinion, will provide the best experience and satisfaction for new HE consumers.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
In a restaurant (like Texas Roadhouse) you can hear all the noises from the pots and pans in the kitchen and the music and conversation becomes just noise. I remove mine and just smile a lot.

Top Bottom