Hearing damage article - RoadBike Mag

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
I wish I had come across the article about hearing damage years before I started experiencing tinnitus. I still don't understand why I refused to wear earplugs.

London Drugs here in Canada sell a brand call "Hero's" if I remember correctly . Rated at 33db which don't sound like much of a differance from the MiCormicks I was using before that are rated at 32 db ,but they are noticably more quieter and easier on the ears.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Hearing decibel measurements are on a logarithmic scale, not a linear one. Which is why a -33db rating is noticeably better than a -30db rating.

In the case of your two that you mentioned, it could also be the fit. I have some -33db earplugs. When new, they are really really quiet. Wear them a week of riding, and they block sound...but not nearly as much.

Chris

I wish I had come across the article about hearing damage years before I started experiencing tinnitus. I still don't understand why I refused to wear earplugs.
I highly recommend reaching out to a professional audiologist at your earliest convenience. Seeking assistance from a qualified audiologist is essential for addressing any concerns or issues related to hearing health. In our area, we have had exceptional experiences with the audiologist Staten Island. Their expertise, dedication, and personalized care have made a significant difference for many individuals seeking solutions to their hearing needs. Don't hesitate to schedule an appointment with them to receive the support and guidance necessary for optimal hearing health.

Last edited:
I wear earplugs in the shop as well ,blow one part off and my ears are hissing for a good hour. Okay my air blower goes though 20cfm called a Tyhon puts most leaf blowers to shame.

Bike
2010 ST1300
London Drugs here in Canada sell a brand call "Hero's" if I remember correctly . Rated at 33db which don't sound like much of a differance from the MiCormicks I was using before that are rated at 32 db ,but they are noticably more quieter and easier on the ears.
Those are about as high a NRR rating as you would likely see. The problem of very loud noises becomes one of bone conduction, bypassing the ear canal so that no matter what you put in there has a limited effect.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Old time biker here.... never used any protection. Went to hear a band over the weekend and it was so loud I left before the first set was over:rofl1:

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
I’m working on using in ear monitors like a musician would use, connected to my Cardo system. They are good for a passive -26 and with the active noise canceling, I’m hoping for more. Prior to this, I’ve used the foam ear plugs.
I’ve already got bad tinnitus though. But I saw: Rush, ZZ Top, The Doobie Brothers, Hall and Oats, Foreigner in concert, and was in the Army, so my hearing is rough…

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I find most Ear plugs uncomfortable and they give me pain when riding. Then I found "Hearos sleep pretty" Womens plugs. NRR 32
These are smaller and give less pressure on whatever makes them hurt. The original Hearos (Blue) hurt a lot after a ride, the pink no pain.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If I were going to ride with music, I'd look for something like this:
This page could not be found!
We are sorry. But the page you are looking for is not available.
Perhaps you can try a new search.

Not a scientific study but – when I was in MT I had the opportunity to ride without a helmet for a short trip within Helena. Wind in my hair sun in my face etc. It was a great feeling. All that aside I was immediately aware of how quiet it was to ride without the wind noise experienced with a helmet even with the ST's windshield down. No whistling no howling no amplified buffeting. Even with ambient traffic noise it was starkly serene. This was at 35-45mph.

Coming into and leaving Helena at those speeds generated noticeable wind noise. I have no idea if those sound levels were enough to damage hearing. It wouldn't surprise me that exposed to them long enough there could be permanent damage. (As if there could be temporary damage.)

For a number of reasons I have tinnitus in both ears. It's constant – 24/7/365. I wish I'd used hearing protection a number of times as well as on any ride at speed or of distance. I've noticed a few people who can carry on a conversation while wearing ear plugs. Not me. That means either they're using inferior ear plugs or I've experienced a level of damage that when combined with hearing protection impairs typical conversation.

Hearing damage isn't temporary. It's accumulative. I wish I'd started taking better care of it much much earlier.

Ever try unpickling a pickle? Oh very young we are just hoping you take our advise and save your ears and wear hearing protection

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I've been using Etymotic ear buds for quite a few years. It does take some time to toughen up your ear canal, but now I can leave them in all day. In the beginning, I plugged them directly in to my phone for music. Now I plug into my Sena, that is bluetoothed to my phone.

So these stay on the outside of the ear? Really interested as the foam plugs are now making my ear canal sore.
Yes. They fill the large opening but don't enter the canal. I can wear them all day or all night. The foam ones kill my ears after about 30 minutes. I've been buying and using these for almost 15 years.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Yes. They fill the large opening but don't enter the canal. I can wear them all day or all night. The foam ones kill my ears after about 30 minutes. I've been buying and using these for almost 15 years.
Thanks! I just turned in an order. Looking forward to ditching the in the ear canal foam plugs.... :thumb:

Top Bottom