hearing protection / sport monitors

Bike
'04 ST1300
I use an autocom setup on my ST connected to a Garmin Nuvi 780. I use the bluetooth to connect my smartphone and connect the Nuvi to the autocom.

I used to use the autocom helmet speakers but they weren't loud enough with earplugs. I began using earbuds instead of the autocom speakers. The problem is the earbuds keep breaking or falling out. I found out about these custom molded monitors. They use acoustic tubing, same stuff used by security and law enforcement.

Have any of you all had any experience with this type of setup or acoustic tubing? I'm interested in its durability and how long it lasts, sound quality etc. Also, if you have something better...

thanks for the input

Gary J.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I use Westone CR-1 custom molded earbuds with my Autocom. I've had them for several years and they work great. I could hear my music fine with my helmet speakers but my phone was hard to hear. The CR-1's solved that problem.
You will have to get a different helmet lead for your Autocom that allows you to plug in the earbuds. I forget the part # but someone here will know it.
I had to go to the ENT Dr to get my molds made (cost of $35) then have my Westone dealer send them in to be made. The Westone dealer I used charged $175 for the CR-1's 3 or 4 years ago, I have no idea how much they are now.
Custom molded earbuds was one of the best things I've done regarding bike communications. I say go for it.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have used them for about four years. They are the best thing out there. The tubes sometimes wear through but they are easily replaced. I just got my wife a pair. Guess you might say I have about 50,000 miles on them. Every time I am on the bike I have them in. I have replaced the airtubes twice.

I have tried several other options but none work as well and have the same fit. The custom fit plugs are the real deal. They are not cheap but they work well.

I have them connected to the autocom with a zumo 550. The only thing that you might want to consider is the way they interface with the autocom lead.

Anything else I can tell you or any questions, just ask

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have also used those ear plugs now for about 4 years, they are durable and work very well. Comparing them to ear buds for music, you will sacrifice a slight bit of higher frequency response with the OTS units. With all of the ambient road noise at highway speeds, it really doen't make any difference. I also use them on plane trips with my iPod and had not had any trouble with the tubes cracking (only at the ear plug) until this season. But as stated, these are very easy to repair using the existing tubing.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I just cut in some J&M 55mm speakers,boosteroo in the audio line, crank it up and wear moulded ear plugs. This takes out the wind noise and leaves the music. I just got tired of the extra wires that earphones give you.

OP
OP
Bike
'04 ST1300
Thanks for the I put and advice.

I had a pair fitted this afternoon. So far they are great! All I had on the mp3 was speaking, hooked them up to the iPad when into home and was pleasantly surprised. Much better volume and clarity than the earbuds I was using.

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
I wish I found this thread at least two years ago. I was too stupid riding without earplugs. Now I suffer from tinnitus :(
Btw, what earplugs do you prefer? Are there people like me who often buy ordinary soft foam ones? Or do you prefer professional ones?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
S-plugs are awesome, not cheap but worth it in my opinion.

S-plugs are awesome, not cheap but worth it in my opinion.
Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. Prioritizing hearing aid protection is a wise decision, especially as a preventative measure. Rather than searching to buy hearing aids online, which is a significant commitment and investment, taking steps to protect your existing hearing is a proactive approach. Utilizing hearing protection in noisy environments or when exposed to loud sounds can help preserve your natural hearing and avoid the need for corrective measures later on.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm a fan of Etymotics wired earbuds, plugged into my Sena 50S. The Sena is Bluetooth 'Ed to my phone.
Etymotics are designed primarily for studio musicians and are all-day comfortable under my helmet, and they never shift in the helmet, and don't fall out when putting the helmet on or off.
There are 3 silicone baffles and block the wind noise (my MAIN objective), and I can listen to music or podcasts.
I've never found in-helmet speakers to work, because they have to be turned up so loud in order to overcome the wind noise... thereby further damaging my hearing.
Quality and comfort, been using them about 15 years. And you can never lose just one earbud -- you must lose them both at the same time.
But the small earbud wires are extremely vulnerable to cat teeth.
Keep them in a safe place.

I'm a fan of Etymotics wired earbuds, plugged into my Sena 50S. The Sena is Bluetooth 'Ed to my phone.
Etymotics are designed primarily for studio musicians and are all-day comfortable under my helmet, and they never shift in the helmet, and don't fall out when putting the helmet on or off.
There are 3 silicone baffles and block the wind noise (my MAIN objective), and I can listen to music or podcasts.
I've never found in-helmet speakers to work, because they have to be turned up so loud in order to overcome the wind noise... thereby further damaging my hearing.
Quality and comfort, been using them about 15 years. And you can never lose just one earbud -- you must lose them both at the same time.
But the small earbud wires are extremely vulnerable to cat teeth.
Keep them in a safe place.
Got a model number of the ones your using?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My hearing is too far gone to worry about it now. I wear aids, but not while riding.

At around 2 kHz, my response drops off like a cliff in a Roadrunner/Coyote cartoon.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
S plugs are great - until they aren't. I had a set of the dual driver ones, used them for several years, then one wouldn't work anymore. After an exchange with the owner of the company, in which she accused me of removing them incorrectly (I wasn't) I sent them in to be repaired. $100 later, I got them back. They lasted for a couple months, then one of them quit working again. I wrote to her again, several times, and she ghosted me. I switched to the in-helmet JBL speakers from Cardo, and they work fine, even with foam earplugs. And they're a lot more comfortable, even though the sound isn't as good as the s-plugs.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've one used the single drive ones and did have a wire exposed after about 6 years of use which seems good to me my current ones are 2 years old and good. I only use them touring and don't commute.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Got a model number of the ones your using?
The only reason I did not include a model number is because Ety is constantly upgrading their products. I'm on my 4th or 5th pair, as I have taken to keeping a pair on / in all my vehicles now... 2 bikes, 1 car, a pair in my laptop bag, and the chewed up ones I use for "mute" earplugs, as they don't carry sound now. I usually just get the least expensive ones or the ones just above the bottom, and order from Amazon.
I doubt any more than 2 pair I have are the same model number, through the years.
I have paid between 80 and 110 USD, but as I say, if you don't yank on the cords or let cats play with them or lose them, they last and last.
By the way, I also use them with my electric violins, so as not to annoy the entire county when I play.
I'm not trying to dodge the question, but I haven't had to order any in about a year.
Lastly... for those phones with no headphone jack, you can buy an adapter cable for about $8 that plugs into the charging port of your IPhone or Android phone, with a headphone jack on the other end, and I have several of those as well for off the bike.
Hope this helps.

Top Bottom