Heat and Vapor Lock

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Has anyone run into the problem of vapor lock due to engine heat? I think it happen to me on the way home from work. The outside temp was 26 C but the Friday traffic was heavy with alot of stop and go. I was on the last two bars on the fuel tank when it would not accelerate, then would sure ahead and then repeat this a number of times, it didn't matter what gear I was in. When I got off the highway and fill the tanks it appears the problem when away. One thing is that tank was hot when my thighs were touching it, also the outside temp show 30C but drop to 26 C once the tank was filled.

OP
OP
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Have driven the bike twice since the problem for 2 hours each time. The bike ran fine with no problems. But you are saying that this could be the fist sign of a fuel pump problem For now I will keep an eye on it and avoid heavey traffic with low fuel levels so the tank does not get hot.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Could well be a fuel pump on it's way out.
I'd check that the hoses aren't pinched somewhere as a result of lifting the tank etc while doing maintenance.

fwiw I've been stuck in bumper to bumper at 104? err 40?C and haven't had an issue... well other than being hot LOL.

Bike
Honda ST1300
Fuel pump. I changed mine yesterday. When they get weak, the pressure drops, making vapor lock happen at lower temps. Mine acted up only on 90* days and with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. When tank is fuller, the upper tan helps to lower fuel temp. ( My theory only!)

Top Bottom