Heated Grips for ST1300

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Well I managed to finish the job. A long screwdriver and some light spray oil did the trick of removing the grips. I have no idea how I’m going to replace these Apollo heated grips as they have a plastic tube between the bars and the grips. Probably have to dremmel them off. They work really well but I can’t use the Grip Puppy’s anymore that absorbed vibration and increased the grip diameter. They insulate from the heated grips so they render the heated grips useless.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Well I managed to finish the job. A long screwdriver and some light spray oil did the trick of removing the grips. I have no idea how I’m going to replace these Apollo heated grips as they have a plastic tube between the bars and the grips. Probably have to dremmel them off. They work really well but I can’t use the Grip Puppy’s anymore that absorbed vibration and increased the grip diameter. They insulate from the heated grips so they render the heated grips useless.
What did you glue them on with?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
They work really well but I can’t use the Grip Puppy’s anymore that absorbed vibration and increased the grip diameter. They insulate from the heated grips so they render the heated grips useless.
Rubber insulates, foam insulates, even the bicycle cork tape I have wrapped around mine insulates you from the heat. Give it time, the heat will come through.

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Regarding glue,
The Apollo grips came with their own super glue, but did not use it. It took a very light use of electrical tuner lube to even get them on. They now are impossible to twist off.

Regarding using Grip Puppies,
I accidentally ripped my original set trying to put them on to test if I could still use them. I do have a new back up set. But they are not stretched out being new, and I cannot get them over the end of the Apollo grips.

Assuming the heat will still come through “eventually”; I was pondering if I could warm them up and try again. Any experienced ideas out there?

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Glad that method of removal worked for you guys, but as T_C said, compressed air will do the least damage to the old grips/handle bars.

On a side note, my Oxford grips have gotten "sticky" after only 2 years of use. A quick search found this to be a common problem, and company will not acknowledge.
Because they still heat fine, I'm looking to "coat" them with something besides baby powder!
T_C- using bicycle cork wrap; any pics or advice?
I found this "flocked" heatshrink for fishing rods that could work.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
T_C- using bicycle cork wrap; any pics or advice?
I found this for fishing rods that could work.
I'm mobile so can't search very well but there should be a thread from when I did it yeats ago. Something like "Grips are grips?"

My one suggestion is to wrap the oem grip in double sided tape first, then wrap the bike tape on top of it.

Ohh... and have long fingers. It really fattens up the grip. ;)

I'm still on the same ones I wrapped it with years ago, but it does need to be redone.

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
So I was able to convince the Puppies to lay down like good lads. Now to see if the heat permeates them in a reasonable amount of time and warmth. If not, off with their heads!

Hi AV8R, off topic, but if you don't mind, what are the 1-5 numbered switches on the right grip on this bike? I have a similar bike, a 2011 1300P former pd and can't figure out what those switches are. There's a slider, a toggle of sorts, and a push button.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Those are the code3 switches for police lights and siren tones. These devices were removed before they sold the bike to the public auction. Some PD bikes have these cables horribly gutted, others just disconnected cable connectors. Those who use bikes for security and traffic control as I do, get all this working again. Lots of money and hours of work. The connector for all that is in the back under the radio hood. The police version of the manual has schematics.

For me, the 3 position slider does:
- back mounted code3 lights
- front/back code3 lights
- front/back code3 lights, and wail siren

The up/down switch does my front wig/wag alley lights

The push in button is the police phasor siren

My left side horn is now the police yelp siren
(used the most to signal coming through intersections and collision danger warnings, like fire trucks do)

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Best kind of problem – didn't disable the bike and you fixed it easily. Calls for a celebration– a ride and a slice of pie.

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Do yo have enough power to the grips?
I'm getting a white blinking light even if they're off, and when they on, they'll shut off under about 1700 rpm's. Looks like not enough power comes to run grips under 17-1800 rpm's (even at the lowest heat level). Any ideas?
Probably a loose wire

Top Bottom