HEATED GRIPS! The Bikemaster Brand

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just throwing out another option.
The Symtec kit is pretty popular. I like the BMW grips and they'd make a great combo. Could you go over the install details? Is the left element in direct contact with the bar? If so do you feel a difference in heat compared to the right bar and plastic throttle tube?

I've got a G2 Throttle Tube and the knurled surface might not play well with the element. Putting some heat shrink tubing between around the G2 might work. I got a deal on some third-party heated grips yet to be installed so Symtecs may be out of the running.

OP
OP
CompressorStall

CompressorStall

Self appointed wizard of light bulb moments.
Bike
'96 ST1100
Well it would appear that Amazon lit a fire under their shipping department as I got the delivery notification today! They were delivered in one day.

Looks like I have a project to work on when I finally get home tonight, after errands, and my club meeting.

I mean sleep IS overrated, right?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
CompressorStall said:
Well it would appear that Amazon lit a fire under their shipping department as I got the delivery notification today! They were delivered in one day.
'Tis the season. They're even offering free shipping for everybody. Standard shipping for non-Prime members but still free.

CompressorStall said:
I mean sleep IS overrated, right?
Definitely! Especially where adding a farkle is concerned! And pix would be great if it doesn't interfere with your workflow.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I just took my first ride yesterday (~37°F) with the Oxford heated grips on my '05 ST1300...and...I'm disappointed.

No problem with the Oxfords. They heated up nice and toasty. Plenty of heat to keep my palms warm. Unfortunately I noticed that I never have any finger but my pointer on the grips. The other three fingers ride on top of the clutch or brake levers. I do all the pulling with my middle and ring fingers and the pinky just hangs out there doing nothing.

When I'm riding in temps below about 5°F, it is just my fingers which cause problems. I'm fine above 10°F with just Klim snowmobile gloves and unheated liners. From 10°F to 5°F fingers get uncomfortable during my 30 minute commute but it's manageable. Under 5°F I need something but heated grips aren't going to do what I need with six fingers flying in the breeze.

Heated grips aren't for me, apparently.

I'll go back to the heated glove liners for under 10°F but I really don't like being plugged into the bike or messing with the wires. My other thought is to get some Li-ion battery powered heated gloves and put up with having to remember to recharge them between use.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
These grips and controller look identical to the 'KOSO' heated grips that I have used for 2 years. When I looked at the Oxfords at Twisted Throttle I was surprised that they couldn't confirm fitment. The next day I was in the STealer and they had the KOSO's for half the money. The KOSO grips were also a larger diameter and I found them more comfortable. Although there is no substitute for heated gloves these grips (even with grip puppies on) do the trick for all but the coldest rides. No problems so far.

Yea I am thinking Alabama winters are much better than that -5 degree stuff. The summers will roast your arse but its 36 degrees now and I dont want anything to do with grips at all...........whaaa.....whaaa.....lol.....But Saturday and Sunday are 60+ days. BWaaahaahaaahaa

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
The Symtec kit is pretty popular. I like the BMW grips and they'd make a great combo. Could you go over the install details? Is the left element in direct contact with the bar? If so do you feel a difference in heat compared to the right bar and plastic throttle tube?

I've got a G2 Throttle Tube and the knurled surface might not play well with the element. Putting some heat shrink tubing between around the G2 might work. I got a deal on some third-party heated grips yet to be installed so Symtecs may be out of the running.
Yes, the left element is in direct contact with the bar. The left one puts out a little more heat to compensate for this. I did not notice any difference between the two sides when the grips are on. Not sure how the knurling would effect the heater. Heat shrink sounds like a good idea.

I got my power from the Aux power line under the left side faring. This was the same connection that the Honda heated accessory grips used.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Why would you ride without proper gloves? Even if you dump it 10 feet from your driveway, you'll have road rash.
We keep the bike at our weekend getaway and I had forgot my gloves at home. Didn't realize it until we went to ride. Believe me, gloves are a requirement for both my wife and I.

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
I have a set of these Bikemaster heated grips coming for Christmas. Question for those of you who have mounted them, where/how did you mount the control unit? At this point, I don't see how it fits on the handle bars.

Thanks!

I bought a small project box from radio shack. Installed the wiring for the grips and phone/pad/tpms charging port. I then mounted it to the Heli bar riser ball mount hole with a 3" spacer. I also considered mounting it on the left panel where I removed the OEM control module for heated grips.
You could also make a small plate to mount on the clutch mount and tape it to that.......or you could

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I installed my bikemaster grips about a year ago and for the bucks and for when I ride they work great. They do take the chill out for those unexpected cold times riding. I don't have any other heated gear at this time. I guess I have not felt the need to buy anything. Maybe all of my years in Minnesota on the farm I just became used to the cold. Now oddly enough when I do find the heated grips very useful regardless of temperature is when my hands go numb or cramp up. I just turn the grips on and that seems to help alleviate the numbness and cramping. Oh and yes cruise control would resolve that issue but until February of 2018 I have never had a bike with cruise. But still there are many times when cruise is not used and the heat helps my old hands.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I have a set of these Bikemaster heated grips coming for Christmas. Question for those of you who have mounted them, where/how did you mount the control unit? At this point, I don't see how it fits on the handle bars.

Thanks!
Here is how I mounted the Show Chrome controller on my wing. I also had these plates mounted on my ST when I had it. Not sure how the Bikemaster is supposed to attach, but my controller is held on by double sided tape.

I picked up aluminum stock at Home Depot and cut it to length. I then drilled holes through the stock to fit the bolts that hold the controls on to the bar. I replaced the stock bolts with longer metric bolts also from Home Depot. In my photo, I have a Ram mount ball. You do not need one of those if you don't want. I also used the Ram mount spacers. Just get some flat washers and stack them up to make the spacer.

IMG_0040__1545495398_69.130.122.225.jpg

IMG_0041__1545495463_69.130.122.225.jpg

Top Bottom