Helite Turtle 2 Test

Bike
2010 ST1300
I tested my Turtle 2 today. Pulled over to a curb to park the bike, road was crowned, and a car was behind me. Pulled in, turned the handle bars to the left as I approached, and put my foot down. Oops, road was crowned, should not have hit the brake as I slowed and stopped, road was farther away than I thought, and the bike went over in slow mo (no forward motion). Of course I was tethered to the bike. Of course I fired off the beaste.

First thoughts. I’d wanted to do this with a dummy cartridge to see how hard a 60 lb pull on the lanyard feels. No problem pulling the lanyard away. Now I have a dummy cartridge so I can let the guys in our club try it if they want.

Second Thoughts. Make sure you have a good fist between your chest and the straps that close the vest. I think mine was adjusted too tightly. When the beaste inflated, I was squeezed. I could barely move. It does not deflate all that quickly, and seemed to take forever to lose air pressure. In fact, once I got up off the ground, I reached up and felt the vest - hard as a rock. It seemed not to deflate or get softer at all so I reached the buckles and unclipped the vest (this was not a problem). Laid it out on the ground, picked up the bike and set it on the side stand, then put the vest across the seat and (it was still hard) started unscrewing the cartridge to deflate it. When the CO2 cartridge came out, the vest deflated like a tire w/ an inner tube - fast and easily.

Third Thought. Turtle should have a way to deflate this thing - maybe carry a tanto (used for seppuku)? Better idea would be some kind of valve you could activate - open a velcro flap, pull a ring to let air out. This would be similar to delfating a hot air balloon (except these have a big velcroed rip panel to let hot air out).

Fourth Thought. Good thing nobody saw me do my Michelin Man impersonation. No embarrassment.

Fifth Thought. There should be a way to inflate this thing so you can properly adjust the fit. I think we want it firm, but not so tight all the blood is squeezed up into your brain. (For all you hard hat divers, you know about the 'squeeze'. Back in the early days, if the diver stepped off the edge of a sunken wreck and fell, or if his hose broke, the surrounding water pressure would... ahh compress the poor diver up into his rigid copper helmet. They buried the hat. Today a check valve in the helmet decreases this danger.) I am considering installing a tire valve on the bottom of the used CO2 cartridge. This way, I can inflate my vest to a couple of pounds pressure to adjust the fit so that it is a very firm fit. The protection comes, I think from the rigidity of the vest itself and its energy absorbing capability.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Good to know about the adjustment. I think mine might be too tight because I felt making it more snug helped offset shoulder pain that might be from the weight of the vest hanging on me on longer rides. I'll consider loosening it.
But they are supposed to deflate slowly, so maybe contact the guys (I think they are now in Reno) and ask for advice.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
My opinion only. Tight is good when it goes off, as you want as much protection as possible and limited movement at the neck, back, and torso (obviously not enough to impair breathing). Don’t at all think about stabbing it to deflate it as it is reusable/ and can be repacked, like a parachute (if you stab it, it’s now unusable in the future). I think you did well, unclip, take the cartridge out and it deflates, once you’re out of danger. Think about if you’re in traffic and separate from the bike and you bounce (a little)…you want it to remain inflated for a bit until you come to a stop.

Mine was a little tight at the abdominal clip (needed just an inch). They sell extenders (mine is a Hit Air brand), and with the extender, it fits fine.

I do have a related question…where do you have your lanyard attachment point? I know you’re not supposed to use the handlebar, but I have no where else to attach mine since the tubes of the frame are all hidden under the plastics on each is mine (and the scooter), I have them around the right handlebar, inboard of the brake master cylinder so it can’t simply come off that area.

Last edited:

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the review and advice on the Turtle 2. Having a controlled method to more rapidly deflate the vest would be an enhancement - especially if the method was obvious to any attending EMTs.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I'll consider loosening it. But they are supposed to deflate slowly, so maybe contact the guys (I think they are now in Reno) and ask for advice.
I looked on Helite's website and only saw French language and no USA distributor. I've written to Revzilla Cust. Serv. with my questions. Can you give me a link to Helite in Reno?
Tight is good when it goes off, as you want as much protection as possible and limited movement at the neck, back, and torso.
Don’t at all think about stabbing it...

I do have a related question…where do you have your lanyard attachment point?
I agree, tight is good, but it is too easy to make it so tight that it does impair breathing, especially if you are knocked around in your flight off the bike. Stabbing it was a joke - I should have put an emoticon there. I'd never carry an open knife on a bike, I even take extra car keys out of my pockets (not gonna need 'em on a bike, and in the event of a crash a key becomes a...knife.

My lanyard is attached to the frame tube under my seat. It leads up between the seat and tank so I can reach down when astride the bike to clip it in without even looking (or trying to bend my neck enough to see it when the modular helmet is closed.)

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550

If they say you're wrong on keeping the jacket a bit loose, please update so we have direction from the manufacturer. Revzilla is good for a lot, but I have occasionally felt the person I was speaking to didn't really know how to answer my tech questions.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300

If they say you're wrong on keeping the jacket a bit loose, please update so we have direction from the manufacturer. Revzilla is good for a lot, but I have occasionally felt the person I was speaking to didn't really know how to answer my tech questions.
I agree about Revzilla's customer service people. I usually mange to go beyond the knowledge limits of cust. serv reps with technical questions. I'm not interested in the Turtle being loose when inflated - I want it very firm, but not impairing breathing. I believe they say you should be able to put your fist on your chest and have the straps go over your fist. I took this to mean positioning your fist as if you had been shot in the chest with bow and arrow and were trying to pull the arrow out with your hand (not a fist with 4 fingers and thumb against your chest). I did this and it was snug. Inflated I thought it was a bit too tight.

Do you have a number or name for the company in Reno?

I also want to know how long before the vest deflates.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
From their website;

How long will it take for my airbag to deflate?

Your airbag must stay inflated to support and protect the rider long enough. It will take 5-7 minutes for the airbag to deflate completely. If you unscrew and remove the canister, the airbag will deflate quickly. You can unclip and remove the airbag immediately after the fall if you are in a safe area.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Last edited:
I even take extra car keys out of my pockets (not gonna need 'em on a bike, and in the event of a crash a key becomes a...knife.

Yep, I had my ignition key end up imbedded in my hip after a get off in 1988. Of course that was the least of my injuries lol

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Hmm...might be a difference in the way the Helite is constructed and the Hit-Air. When my Hit-Air has inflated, I never felt so constricted that it was a problem. Of course that might just be personal tolerances too. I don't mean that as a negative either. Two people can be in the same room standing next to each other and one feel cold and the other feel hot.

While it seemed like another method for deflating the air bag vest was needed...was it really all that hard to unzip the pocket the cannister is in and unscrew it? Probably not any harder than having a separate valve built-in. The easiest thing to do, is get off the ground and then take it off.

I "tested" my airbag vest the first time by hitting the front brake to avoid a pedestrian and immediately found myself lying against the edge of a curb looking up at the sky. One of my first thoughts was why didn't I hurt. Logic said I should've had a broken rib or two, yet I felt no pain. Then the pain of embarrassment hit. Sigh....

I recommend buying a couple replacement cannisters. I think Big 5 Sporting Goods sells that size. Once you have a couple on hand, you'll find you won't need them. It's just the way life works. ;)

Chris

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have the KLIM non tethered airbag vest. It has a separate inflator stem to fill-up the airbag to fit it and inspect it for damage. I too think tight is good in an accident.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
From their website...
Thank you, Andrew. I googled their website 3 or 4 times, even once looking for Helite USA, and I kept getting the main headquarters in France - never saw the website you found until I typed in Helite US.

Bought a metal truck tire valve - and I'll solder it to the bottom of the spent cartridge so I can pump up the vest with a bicycle pump. All I want is a couple of psi so I can judge the fit. I tried calling Reno but the Cust. Service person was out of the office. I'll report back what I find out if it is germane to this discussion.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Helite air bag vest immediately after puncturing is pressurized to 6 psi according to Helite US in Reno.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Helite air bag vest immediately after puncturing is pressurized to 6 psi according to Helite US in Reno.
I suspect you meant immediately after inflation?
Immediately after puncturing it would have low pressure.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I suspect you meant immediately after inflation?
Immediately after puncturing it would have low pressure.
You are too literal. That's my paraphrase of what he said. His full quote was, "It is 6PSI when it first goes off and then the pressure slowly starts to decrease. Once the bag goes off, you can release the straps to alleviate the pressure and you can also remove the cartridge which will help release the pressure much faster. This is for an accidental deployment of course, where you can easily reduce the pressure."

Top Bottom