HELP! 06 ST1300 headlight issue

Bike
06 ST1300
Installed led headlights, what an amazing difference. the beams were way too low i adjusted them with the lower individual screws. This seemed to work well but the left beam was way off to the left so I turned the knob (maybe too far) and now there is no adjustment at all. the pic shows how the lens is set back from the reflector.
I am grateful for any guidance Or suggestion

BD533CC2-A0F4-4A61-83C3-C15C0A4F19B5.jpeg

Attachments

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Were the lights way out of adjustment before you changed the bulbs?
Changing the bulbs should not have made a huge difference in alignment. It might require some fine tuning, but it certainly does not require that the reflector be moved that far in any direction.

Check to make sure that the bulbs are installed correctly and that the bulb bases are properly seated in the reflector housing.
I suspect that something is not right with the way that the bulbs are sitting in the reflector.

As for the adjustments- I don't know if they run right off of the adjuster threads if they are turned to far. Someone else here will certainly be able to answer that for you.
Below is the adjuster in case this helps.
1676060643095.png

OP
OP
FST-SC
Bike
06 ST1300
Yes lights were low and yellow so the upgraded lights was a huge difference. I actually used the pic you provided as a reference. My attempt at the grey plastic adjustment produced a “crunching” sound so I went to the individual screws. Also took the tip to adjust to mid point even with the reflector and let the electric motor adjust from there
thx for the feedback

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Check that the bulb is seated correctly in the housing.

[edit] Oh - Andrew already said that. Never mind, check it again !

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Looks like you might need to remove the headlight from the bike, shake and listen for anything rattling. You might have adjusted too far and popped the threaded rod out of the nut assembly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FST-SC
Bike
06 ST1300
Looks like you might need to remove the headlight from the bike, shake and listen for anything rattling. You might have adjusted too far and popped the threaded rod out of the nut assembly.
That sounds like an unrecoverable mistake given it is a sealed unit right. ‍ugh!

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
That sounds like an unrecoverable mistake given it is a sealed unit right. ‍ugh!
*IF* that's the case and things just came "unscrewed" you may be able to reach in thru the bulb housings and align/pull back to the bolts and get them back in. The only issue would be if you broke something.

It is possible to open the sealed unit, but not easy (involves heating in an oven, prying, possible repeating) and does risk damage. However if you can't use it and have to replace it you might as well give it a try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom