Help! Front brakes locked up on the freeway

Bike
94 st1100
Last night on commute to work, doing 70 in center lane bike seemed to be bogging down. I tried to throttle it and get off the road, but no openings and by that time, the front tire was locked up tight and I was at a dead stop. At this point I hadn't touched the brakes in at least 3 miles. I got hit lightly from behind with all 3 lanes coming to a halt. Now Im in first just trying to get the bike across 1 lane, still locked up and wont go. back tire smoking etc. A couple guys came running and they pulled on the front wheel while I pushed and we jerked it off the road. Now no response in gear, either final drive is toast or clutch or both. After police arrive and call for tow truck, I was going to put it on the center stand to walk it sideways to get it further off the road when low and behold front wheel now perfectly loose. What the! This is a 94 without abs. A few weeks ago the front lever seemed a little tight, (but only when I parked it in the sun) so I changed brake fluid and it seemed normal again. Any Ideas where to start? I'm not so sure It's worth fixing, but at least I wanna know why it happened cause It could've been bad. Thanks, Bob

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
This can happen if the pressure in the break line isn't fully released after use. The slight drag on the pads causes the fluid to heat and expand applying the pads even harder until in your case it locks the wheel. Once the fluid cools back down the wheel will turn. The normal suspect is the master cylinder not returning to full seat when the brake lever is released. A gummy master cylinder, misadjusted master cylinder push-rod or a sticking brake lever pivot can cause this. There may also be brake proportioning valves in the Linked braking system that can cause this as well if they are gummed up. Check the simple stuff first with the lever pivot and any gummy residue in the master cylinder resevoir.

OP
OP
Bike
94 st1100
Thanks, I'll check this first. I've never heard of brakes applying by themselves before. No abs so no linked braking.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Brake and clutch lever pivots are exposed to the elements especially pressure washing and rain. I noticed an issue with the grease in these gumming up on my ST1300 causing creaking noises and non-smooth operation after only 9000 miles. Its pretty easy to pull them apart, clean and lube them with some good synthetic light grease. Sounds like you may have bigger issues with the clutch though. I'm sure there is some good info here on 1100 clutch replacement. Best of luck

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
When you changed the brake fluid was it from a new unopened container? If you used an old, previously opened container it is possible it had moisture/water in it.

Bike
1993 ST 1100
What's the mileage on the bike? Just curious. Sounds like it could be potentially dangerous. Good luck with the fixing of the problem.

Top Bottom