Help identifying part

20201016_173407.jpg

I can't find it on any diagrams and figure someone here will know right away. What's that part at the back left of the engine near the kickstand. It looks like an alternator to me but doesn't have any cutouts for cooling which I find odd. It's a '91 so it may just be that its the 28 amp one. I've got an oil leak that I traced to there (tracking down oil leaks is almost as annoying as tracing electrical gremlins to me). I'm planning on just cleaning the dripping oil and rtving the outside to hopefully get me through until I need to replace the timing belt where I'll give it a new gasket

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
This is the 28 amp alternator that early 1100's came equipped with. No cooling holes are needed since the unit is cooled by engine oil. I don't think there is 'real' gasket there but two large O-rings, one between the alternator and engine, another between the rotor and stator assemblies.

OP
OP
Thanks for the quick reply! Also I'm glad I was right. Almost makes me feel like I know what I'm doing! Is that a "pull the motor" job to replace or can I just move the swing arm (equally nerve racing to me)? If I'm already there, should I just go ahead and throw a 40 amp in? Only accessory I intend to run is a set of heated glove liners. I think 28W max but at max setting, my hands sweat even below freezing temps so I'm thinking the real world load will be closer to 20W so roughly 1.75 amps

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Thanks for the quick reply! Also I'm glad I was right. Almost makes me feel like I know what I'm doing! Is that a "pull the motor" job to replace or can I just move the swing arm (equally nerve racing to me)? If I'm already there, should I just go ahead and throw a 40 amp in? Only accessory I intend to run is a set of heated glove liners. I think 28W max but at max setting, my hands sweat even below freezing temps so I'm thinking the real world load will be closer to 20W so roughly 1.75 amps
The engine can stay in place. You will need to take her ass off, literally, including the swing arm (there is a tool for the special bolts that hold it together, I got mine on Ebay).
Consider it a grand opportunity to clean stuff and catch up with backhalf lubrication.
I have a 1991 model. I have never used electric accessories but imagine you need to be judicious and install anything you add with it's own fused wiring...just ask about wiring your particular product on this site.
Once disassembled, you should replace both o-rings, it's just a good opportunity to do the job once.
Notice where the wiring exits the aft side of the stator (back half of the alternator). The opening and wiring that pass thru are potted so they won't leak. But sometimes they do and its a next to impossible leak to stop. It's just difficult for new adhesive to hold given oil soaked wires and oil remaining between the potting and housing....just be aware.
DO...check the charging system wiring, part the connectors and check for corrosion and clean. If you have any evidence of 'slightly' burned wiring or connectors that must be fixed. There's a great aid called the 'red wire modification' that removes the connector and uses additional parts from the later 1100 years. Just search on 'red wire' using the feature at the top right of the page.

New 28 amp units are now hiding with the dinosaurs. So if you have a bad oil leak or the unit fails, it will have to be upgraded. Most of the early model owners will advise you to upgrade to the 40 amp model at your first opportunity. New and used 40 amp alternators are available, you will need the forward half of the 28 amp unit AND the mount plate from a 40 amp equipped bike. The mount plate is no longer available from Honda.

And...ask about any concerns. Again, there are how to's on this site as several members have made the upgrade successfully.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you are going to go forward with a 40 amp upgrade, start looking for the adapter plate now,... well, starting yesterday would be better. There have been a number of threads here and they are like hen's teeth. Do your research, decide what you want to do, and start looking for used parts. Bike recyclers and ebay are your best bet.

The Cheese

That is the 28amp just like the people above have said. If I was to go as far as removing it to change the o-ring, I certainly would not put it back in. Perfect time for the 40amp upgrade. Not to try and scare you but the place where the wires come out of the alternator are a common place to leak. Almost impossible to fix. So if you get the o-rings changed it still may leak. After all that work you still have the weaker alternator.

Shameless plug for my own sales thread below. I have everything needed to upgrade to the 40amp. Perfect winter project.

The Cheese

Is that insulation on the frame? Top left of pic. Also to the right of the engine gaurd lower bolt. You might have mouse damage.

OP
OP
Yeah I definitely noticed there was a mouse living in it at some point. Hopefully it left during the rise home or somewhere along the way. I gotta set up a hellish amount of traps in the garage to protect everything this winter

Since we are Discussing alternators I just found this sitting on top of my alternator when I was cleaning out seeds and not sure if it’s from the carburetor?
or the alternator spitting out springs
or some other mystery?
One spring, beige or yellow paint on side of spring.
Any guesses?
Bike is giving me 13.7 volts running
I might have a beer to think about this

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
Have another beer and keep thinking. If everything on your bike is working, its possible that was dropped a long time ago and is not critical.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Now... just got to see if there is a “easy” way to put it back!?
Related questions– how did it come off in the first place? Was it in a mouse's way? How to keep it from coming off again?

Top Bottom