Help! Leaking Oil!

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Just finished checking the valve clearance and changing the engine oil. Replaced the valve covers, torqued everything according to the manual. I started the bike to check for leaks. Nothing coming from the oil drain plug or oil filter. I then look to the right side of the bike and see oil streaming from the area in the photo. Did I miss something!? Why would oil come from here?

Leaking Oil.jpg

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Check that you sealed the valve cover gaskets properly and that you didn't tuck any of the rubber heat liner in when you put the valve cover back on.

Don't ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:

--Mark

Bike
'06 ST1300
I had the same issue last summer. You can read my thread here. Jump to post #35 for the cause. In my case it was an oil pressure sending switch.

OP
OP
ChiGuy64
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Check that you sealed the valve cover gaskets properly and that you didn't tuck any of the rubber heat liner in when you put the valve cover back on.

Don't ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:

--Mark
Just came back in from checking the area around the valve covers. The left valve cover IS leaking, so is it safe to assume that could/should be the issue? Anyway, I took both covers off and will begin from scratch. Hopefully I won't screw up the right side now. :D

Thanks for the quick reply. Will let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
ChiGuy64
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I had the same issue last summer. You can read my thread here. Jump to post #35 for the cause. In my case it was an oil pressure sending switch.
I'm hoping it's just the valve cover and the nut behind the wrench not installing it properly. Lol

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The left valve cover IS leaking, so is it safe to assume that could/should be the issue?
Probably. One thing you can do to keep the liner out of the way is slip something like a file folder between it and the the cylinder head and leave it there while you attach the head cover. Once you're done bolting it in, pull the folder out and there will be no way the liner got in there.

Also make sure you did the half moons properly; and since you're doing them again you should probably remove the sealant and clean the surfaces.

--Mark

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
could also be a hair line tear in the valve cover gasket, you need to inspect the gasket closely

OP
OP
ChiGuy64
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I obviously jinxed myself in post #4. While installing the R/H valve cover, I somehow stripped the bolt and threads. Doh! Now I have to replace the bolt and figure out the thread size so I can find a repair kit (Helicoil?). The saga continues...

OP
OP
ChiGuy64
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
New gaskets and bolts arrived today. Just replaced them and no more leak. Thanks everyone for your input.

Now if I can just do something about the brakes locking up...

Top Bottom