Help! Problem with Rupse TPMS.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
After about a year of use one of the sensors for my Rupse TPMS developed a leak. I roll the bike out of the garage one day and the rear tire is completely flat. Thinking I must have found a lonely screw (seems to happen to every rear tire) I fill it up and start looking for the leak. Good ole Windex on the tread of the tire to look for bubbles but I find none. On a whim I spray the sensor and, sure enough, it is leaking! :mad:

Has anyone encountered this before? If so, were you able to fix it?

I had recently replaced the battery in the sensor so I took it apart again and rechecked everything. Rubber o ring is still there and I retightened everything but it still leaks. Does anyone know if you can buy just a rear sensor? If so, where?

Thanks for any help/advice.

OP
OP
STumped

STumped

Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Sometimes if you 'hamfist' the sensor too tight, you will ruin the internal plastic seal, it will leak and you will need a new sensor cap.
Don't ask me how I know about that .... :eek:

LOL, maybe I overtightened it. Where would I get a new sensor cap?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
LOL, maybe I overtightened it. Where would I get a new sensor cap?
I'd check with Rupse first to see if they sell spares (or check Amazon or EBay).
I ruined a Hawkshead cap (different cap than Rupse) and order one from them.
It may be just as cheap to buy another Rupse and have the spares. ;)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
This would take some doing but there are plenty of similar systems out there now. I gather most sensors are running 2.5 Mhz and maybe one could pair another (Chinese) brand's sensors. I have a couple of different cheap systems I've tried, no longer have a Rupse to experiment with my other sensors. In the end though, perhaps get another Rupse kit and call it a day.
Rupse is one of the better systems IMHO.

OP
OP
STumped

STumped

Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
It may be just as cheap to buy another Rupse and have the spares. ;)

Yeah, after i asked the question I ended up doing some digging and found this (in case anyone else is interested):

I paid $100 for the current Rupse so $40 for a rebadged one seems like a no-brainer to me.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I got one of these about 4 months ago and my buddy got one about 9 months ago. Works great, updates quickly. I had a Doran and I like this one better. You can see the display at all times when riding. It recharges with usb and the batteries in the sensors are replaceable.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
This is the reason I dislike the valve mounted sensors that keep the Schrader valve in the stem always open.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Never had a problem with the valve always open, the sensors are sealed.
I have a Careud like the one posted, works well. I have another one same company only display is more square, bit of a sunshade, and has a solar panel on it (unnecessary IMHO), but if you want the slightly different look.

Top Bottom