Help! Stuck rear wheel

Georg H. Georgs

Hello from Iceland
Bike
ST 1300 2007
STOC #
I went for a ride today, for the first time in 5 months. Everything was good for the first one hour. Then when I was on my way back home I noticed that the bike need more power to move and the fuel/milege was very low. Then I stopped the bike , and I could not move the rear wheel. I was far from home so I untide the line from the rear brake pad and steam came out.Went home without using the rear brake padel. When I came home I could move the SMC very freely. Then I applied the rear brake padel, then everything was stuck. Now I can not move the SMC, it is stuck and I can barely turn the rear wheel. But when I untide the upper rear brake line I can move the rear wheel easaly

Do I have to replace the SMC. Or is the problem somewhere else:(

p.s Sorry about the english, it is not my native language. You would not understand my Icelandic, Maybe Only Viggo whould understand it.;)

Poacher

Ridin' for the Son
Bike
ST1300 A6 2007
STOC #
Then I applied the rear brake padel, then everything was stuck. Now I can not move the SMC, it is stuck and I can barely turn the rear wheel
It does sound like the SMC

no movement = bad SMC

I'm sure someone will come and expand on my limited advice

p

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If actual steam came out.. I wonder if some water or air was in the system.

I would 1st bleed the system per the manual and see if the issue is resolved..

If the issue still exists, then yes it does seem the SMC is a likely place to look.

OP
OP
Georg H. Georgs

Georg H. Georgs

Hello from Iceland
Bike
ST 1300 2007
STOC #
My friend is going to USA. so he is buying the SMC for me.

Do I just have to buy 06454-MCS-G02 or also the piston set 45620-MCS-GO3

#20 Piston Set
#45620-MCS-GO3

#2 Bracket Sub Assembly
#06454-MCS-GO2

Georg

OP
OP
Georg H. Georgs

Georg H. Georgs

Hello from Iceland
Bike
ST 1300 2007
STOC #
If actual steam came out.. I wonder if some water or air was in the system.

I would 1st bleed the system per the manual and see if the issue is resolved..

If the issue still exists, then yes it does seem the SMC is a likely place to look.
Maybe it was just the brake fluid hitting the exhaust.

Bike
2006 ST1300
If it was dragging for a while, that brake fluid would be under a lot of heat and pressure, and would look like steam coming out. There is no way enough moisture could get in and cause real steam to come out...and if there ever was, there are a lot worse problems in the brake system that need attention.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
My friend is going to USA. so he is buying the SMC for me.

Do I just have to buy 06454-MCS-G02 or also the piston set 45620-MCS-GO3

#20 Piston Set
#45620-MCS-GO3

#2 Bracket Sub Assembly
#06454-MCS-GO2

Georg
Depending on how bad the bore of the sub assy is you may need that also. I just replaced mine and replaced the entire bracket assy, which comes with the SMC already in it. It's a plug and play setup, although a bit more $$.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If it was dragging for a while, that brake fluid would be under a lot of heat and pressure, and would look like steam coming out. There is no way enough moisture could get in and cause real steam to come out...and if there ever was, there are a lot worse problems in the brake system that need attention.
:plus1:
Replace the entire bracket and assembly, then bleed the entire system properly, tilting the SMC bracket, and bleeding the PCV etc.

OP
OP
Georg H. Georgs

Georg H. Georgs

Hello from Iceland
Bike
ST 1300 2007
STOC #
:plus1:
Replace the entire bracket and assembly, then bleed the entire system properly, tilting the SMC bracket, and bleeding the PCV etc.
Many thanks for all the answers. I will get me a new SMC, and bleed the system with a 15 degree tilting the SMC bracket.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
If you missed seeing this earlier post of a member with a similar rear brake issue, it maybe worth your time to read through the thread. Besides for a successful conclusion to the problem, there is a lot of useful information presented, some of which I'm sure will be applicable to your situation.

If purchasing Honda parts is difficult in Keflav?k, Iceland, you might check with Keith at Mason City Honda. I purchase a new SMC, as well as the rebuild kit from Keith recently, the SMC (06454-MCS-G02) was 100 dollars exactly, and the SMC rebuild kit (45620-MCS-G03) was 33 dollars, shipping (within the US) was very reasonable, of course that international border may add to the cost.

I installed the new SMC a few months ago, and just recently rebuilt the original SMC with the rebuild kit, the bore of the SMC cleaned up quite nicely with a bit of scotch-brite abrasive pad. Now I have a spare SMC on hand should the need to replace the current SMC arise.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
If you missed seeing this earlier post of a member with a similar rear brake issue, it maybe worth your time to read through the thread. Besides for a successful conclusion to the problem, there is a lot of useful information presented, some of which I'm sure will be applicable to your situation.

If purchasing Honda parts is difficult in Keflav?k, Iceland, you might check with Keith at Mason City Honda. I purchase a new SMC, as well as the rebuild kit from Keith recently, the SMC (06454-MCS-G02) was 100 dollars exactly, and the SMC rebuild kit (45620-MCS-G03) was 33 dollars, shipping (within the US) was very reasonable, of course that international border may add to the cost.

I installed the new SMC a few months ago, and just recently rebuilt the original SMC with the rebuild kit, the bore of the SMC cleaned up quite nicely with a bit of scotch-brite abrasive pad. Now I have a spare SMC on hand should the need to replace the current SMC arise.
How did you get it for $100 if it lists on their site for $125.60 and the rebuild kit was $40.94?

Bike
'06 ST1300A
How did you get it for $100 if it lists on their site for $125.60 and the rebuild kit was $40.94?
Simple, contact Keith at Mason City Honda, ask him for a price quote for the items you're looking for (I e-mailed him a list), and he'll reply with prices and delivery times. I doubled-checked my memory with the sales receipt; I purchased the SMC and rebuild kit this past August (at the prices I stated). These days, pretty much any event that I can still recall qualifies as a recent event.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Simple, contact Keith at Mason City Honda, ask him for a price quote for the items you're looking for (I e-mailed him a list), and he'll reply with prices and delivery times. I doubled-checked my memory with the sales receipt; I purchased the SMC and rebuild kit this past August (at the prices I stated). These days, pretty much any event that I can still recall qualifies as a recent event.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know if there was a discount code or something.

OP
OP
Georg H. Georgs

Georg H. Georgs

Hello from Iceland
Bike
ST 1300 2007
STOC #
Many thanks for everything. My friend is going to Florida next week , for the Daytona bike week. He is getting the SMC there and bringing it back home to Keflavik Iceland. So I will ride my bike after 2 or 3 week. So I will just use the time and cleaning my bike very well for the up coming summer:D

Bike
st1300 2003
Hi if you get stuck give me a shout im the one with the binding back brake in the thread you were advised to read . The bleeding of the system can be a little awkward but perseverance is required .
Many thanks for everything. My friend is going to Florida next week , for the Daytona bike week. He is getting the SMC there and bringing it back home to Keflavik Iceland. So I will ride my bike after 2 or 3 week. So I will just use the time and cleaning my bike very well for the up coming summer:D

Top Bottom