Help with daughter's SV Suzuki

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
My daughter has an 08 650 SVF. 15,000 miles, never had any issues.
Recently it has developed a 'buzz" in the grips (especially the right). Enough so that it will cause your right hand to go numb in a very short while. Needless to say, this is hindering her from riding it.

It seems to be engine related as it increases in intensity and frequency with rpm whether in gear or in neutral, clutch in or out.
- New tires (did it with the old ones as well).
- bar end weights are intact and tight.
- nothing obviously loose anywhere
- bike runs just fine except for the buzz
- you can feel the buzz in the mirrors as well but it is not as intense.

Hopefully one of you experts can shed some light on this for her (and me since I will be the one fixing it).

Thanks
Rod

OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The bike as 15,000 kms not miles. Ooops. Sorry about that. Valves are not due to be checked unitil 24,000 kms. All other maintenance has been done to schedule.
Rod

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Do the Throttle Body Synch, it'll probably help. Also make sure your engine mount bolts are tightened and torqued correctly.

OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, it has synthetic oil (Rottella T). Has had since day 1. ie. same oil before the before the buzz started.
Regarding the TB synch thing......the bike starts instantly, idles smoothly, pulls evenly to redline in all gears (well, haven't tried the top 2 since I don't want to end up in jail:))
Would the TB's being out of synch still allow the bike to runs so good and only give the buzz? I haven't had a chance to check the TB's yet but I will soon.
Thanks all for your thoughts.
Rod

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Would the TB's being out of synch still allow the bike to runs so good and only give the buzz? I haven't had a chance to check the TB's yet but I will soon.
Thanks all for your thoughts.
Rod
Yes, the TB synch is the most likely culprit here, assuming you don't have something loose, like an engine mounting bolt. The most common symptom of out of synch TB's on the SV/DL650 engine is increasing buzz at all operating conditions, especially in the right bar. If you still have it after checking those, SV experts would recommend putting shot in the bars, getting better gloves, changing the way you grip the bars, or all three...

Bike
2006 ST1300
Naked or SVS? If the S model, a switch to Hayabusa bar end weights will help. Filling the bars with shot on the naked model would be my first thought, as mentioned above. I liked my SVS. I switched to a Yamaha R6 throttle tube for quicker opening , a Givi windscreen and bags, and had some work done on the seat. Bike had a ScottOiler, and the rear turn signals were relocated using a bracket from a Genuine Rattler scooter. Exhaust was a Renegade 2 into 1 into 2. Tank bag is a Luggage Locker. All in all, it was a good bike, but not for really long distances. I kept trying to turn it into an ST, but finally had to just go buy one... :) IM000546.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
It is a full faired SV.
Looks like the first thing I will be checking is the engine mounts, followed closely by a TB synch.
Thanks, everyone, for your help. I'll let you know what I find.
Rod

Attachments

OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Well got the TB's balanced . They were not out of synch very much and as you might expect, it did little to cure the vibes in the bike.

The more I ride it, the more I am beginning to think that maybe it is "normal". It had been a long time since I have ridden it very much and it does buzz, especially through the pegs (for me). RPM dependent, not speed dependent. I rode it and my VStrom back to back, same roads, last night and it is definitely worse than the Vstrom. However, I got to thinking, as I looked at them parked side by side,......the little SV is wound pretty tight in comparison: smaller frame, lighter, 20 more hp from same engine, sharper steering rake, less padding on the pegs and seat, less upright riding position, clip on handlebars, etc, etc.

A aviation mechanic friend suggested checking out the ignition system being as how it has 2 plug heads. Maybe one of the spark plugs is not working as well as it should. Can you check the wires with a simple ohm meter?

I have checked literally every nut and bolt for tightness and torque. Seafoam and Techron in the gas. Engine starts good and pulls evenly and strong from idle to redline.
Also trying some grip puppies and see if that helps the numbness in her hands. Also look at different bar end weights, lever angles, etc.
The best check would be to find another SV and ride it back to back with Laura's and compare, but there isn't too many of them around.

I need to find a solution. She took my Blackbird on a 1000 mile trip last week and now I think I am going to have a bit of trouble prying it out of her hands:)

Rod

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
If you let her take the Blackbird she will never satisfied again with the SV.
It's over, Trade it in on another Blackbird or risk losing yours. (insert evil laugh here)

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
That SV will make a pretty nice trade in on a new Dos Eqques, I'm thinking. You might as well take what you can get:)

I think probably you have got the vibrations about down to the minimum. The SV does buzz some, it's the nature of the beast...

Top Bottom