HF tire changer -- What am I doing wrong?

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Via the seach, I've followed some advice from this forum on tire changing - even watched "number9's" tire dismount video. I don't seem to have the "free play" / slack with the tire. I think my problem is with the bead reseating. Is that possible? Everytime I push down on one side of the tire, the other side "reseats". In this position I can't budge/move/slide the tire at all - and thats with the "tire juice" on it. I'm missing something, but I what that is I don't know. Any ideas? Thanks much, Tom de

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Tom,

I use a big wood clamp to keep the bead in the middle of the tire rim.
When I try to skip a clamp the tire just laughes at me an calls me a wimp...

Mark

number9

Watch the videos again. You will see that I use 3 strips of 1x2 by 3" long to keep the bead down in the center of the wheel when I start to dismount the tire.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1602699568054078636&q=myself

You will see on the mount video that I use C-clamps to keep the bead in the center of the wheel while putting the new tire on.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6663854418725116794&q=myself

The Wicko tire bar makes a lot of difference too, IMO. Once you get "the hang of it" changing tires is no big deal. It's the balancing that takes a little more time to get just right.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Tom, the previous posts offer some very good advice, however, it's clear to me you are just not cussing enough. Having just started changing my own tires, the keys are lots of lube, a means of keeping the bead in the valley of the rim, grunting quite a bit and frequent cussing. The first time is the most difficult because you are learning the little tricks and finding out first hand what works. You will have learned quite a bit by the time you change the rear tire the first time. Balancing is actually easy. It just requires some patience. Good thing too, because you will be exhausted from fighting the tire the first time. ;) I don't care how easy number 9 makes it look. I think he's done it before.

Ray

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Thanks guys. I've been " cussin' " - maybe not enough :D. I noticed the wood supports number9 used - it just seemed like the tire should be a bit looser. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Well tonight the swearing will be heard through out the neighborhood. And getting a large clamp or two...

Luv this board,

Thanks,

Tom de

STOC #
Also check out the mount/dismount videos on the No Mar site. And watch closely for subtle details. I've changed three tires so far, and everytime I watch the videos, Jason's or the No Mar's I pick up another little nuance.

Top Bottom