HI all, new here and looking for some advice.

I may have an opportunity to buy a 06 Sprint ST, provided I can sell my 08 V-strom 650 (wife's condition to get PO approved) It appears to be a really good deal, $5k with 3500 miles. I am some what concerned with the slight forward sitting position as compared to the v-strom. I do mostly commuting with a few weekend rides and the occasional weekend trip to the mountains. Can I expect a more uncomfortable ride on longer rides (knowing that opinions may vary)? What about wind noise and turbulence? Have a lot of you guys added bar risers to help off set the forward cant? Any things I should be aware of in the 06 model? What information I have found says the Sprint ST is a solid bike. Is it easy to do your own wrenching on, especially routine maintenance? My closet Triumph dealer is 1 1/2 hours away. Would that be a concern to you guys? Thanks for any input. The Sprint ST sure is a SWEEET looking ride.

Hhmm, not sure how many people on this forum have experience with a Sprint ST (isn't it a Triumph), this is the Honda ST forum. Perhaps someone here may have an unbiased report.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
TPadden has one and loves it.

There are a few guys here that have one.

Sabre

Pr?t? Allez!
Bike
'04 ST1300
The Sprint ST is a sports-oriented bike. Sure, you can make any bike into a "standard" if you play with the ergos, but if you're concerned about leaning forward, I'd steer away from the Sprint. They used to make the Trophy, which was the more upright sport-touring version. Lovely machine.

As for your concern over the reliability issue, I wouldn't hesitate based on that factor. My Tiger has the same engine, rolled off the same assembly line at the Hinckley factory, and, like all modern Triumphs, is a model of reliability. If you can maintain your own chain, sprockets, and oil changes, you're there. The very occasional throttle body sync or valve adjustment is really very simple, though some will want to visit the dealer for that. But we're talking VERY occasional.

They're great machines. They're stupid fast, too, and handle like a dream. But they're sport bikes, and therefore not for everyone.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Not speaking specifically on the Sprint but more so to forward lean. I made the switch to forward lean on my ST from my last ride.

Use your core body to hold you up not your arms. I still get lazy and rest my weight from time to time on my arms.

Many hours in the seat in one ride require more core strength and greater fatigue.

Sportier body position leads to more aggressive riding. IMO

I prefer the forward lean now. It makes me feel more part of the bike VS being on top of the bike

If you give it a shot. Read a little on the new riding position. Give it time and work on you position to train you body to the new ride.

Good luck

Bike
2013 BMW k1600
I own a 2006 Sprint ST. I can tell you all kinds of things about this particular bike. Just PM me and we can go from there...

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
OP hasn't been here since 2009 so he may not PM you despite your kind offer! ;)

Bike
Hard to say
How much u want for the Strom? I don't know a thing about the Sprint, but It will have to go a way to be a better bike than the Wee. I'm looking for another.

Top Bottom