Hi folks, new here, issue with the rear brake.

Hi folks, new here, just obtained my 99 1100 and there seems to be an issue with the rear brake. I've replaced the pads but the pedal is still spongy.

20231122_144433.jpg

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Just some things to consider....
First thing is to look into both master cylinders for evidence of 'gunk' of any sort. Maybe swab a sample from the bottom of each reservoir with a Q-tip and observe any gunk or discoloration in the sample. Has the brake fluid been changed recently? If not change it with fresh and bleed the brakes during the process to make sure there's no air in the system. It's equipped with an ABS system so....Follow the procedures in either the manual or a Youtube video. Check ALL the hose connections and cylinder fittings for signs of leaking. Likely candidate for your problem is air in the lines somewhere.
Looks great! How many miles?

OP
OP
Just some things to consider....
First thing is to look into both master cylinders for evidence of 'gunk' of any sort. Maybe swab a sample from the bottom of each reservoir with a Q-tip and observe any gunk or discoloration in the sample. Has the brake fluid been changed recently? If not change it with fresh and bleed the brakes during the process to make sure there's no air in the system. It's equipped with an ABS system so....Follow the procedures in either the manual or a Youtube video. Check ALL the hose connections and cylinder fittings for signs of leaking. Likely candidate for your problem is air in the lines somewhere.
Looks great! How many miles?
Thanks for that, I hope to book it into my local dealer to have them bled correctly. Cheers

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for that, I hope to book it into my local dealer to have them bled correctly. Cheers
Might consider using the wisdom and Articles in this forum, to do it yourself instead... besides saving money, it's straightforward and you'll become more familiar with your new ride.
Besides which, more and more dealers are refusing to work on older bikes, and when they / IF they do, there is no guarantee they do it correctly.
The bike looks good.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
In general, bleeding the brakes on an ST1100 is pretty straightforward. As said above, make sure there is no debris in the master cylinder and before bleeding, it’s usually good practice to pull out all the old fluid with a syringe or a turkey baster, then clean the base of the master cylinder, then refill with fresh fluid before bleeding. If there is a fair amount of air in the brake line, you may have to vacuum bleed the system (with a MityVac or similar tool). Bleeding brakes was always a mystery to me until I did it a few times, and then realized how straightforward it really is. Once I got all of the system bled, I installed speed bleeders so now I can bleed my system in just a few minutes per master cylinder, including the clutch.

that blue is always a very nice color for an ST1100.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
In general, bleeding the brakes on an ST1100 is pretty straightforward.
Note that it is an ABSII which makes the bleeding process a bit more 'involved'.
Ober on this side of the pond, there are few Honda shops that even touch a ST1100 because of the age.
Good luck and hope you get that pretty ST1100 fixed up!

OP
OP
In general, bleeding the brakes on an ST1100 is pretty straightforward. As said above, make sure there is no debris in the master cylinder and before bleeding, it’s usually good practice to pull out all the old fluid with a syringe or a turkey baster, then clean the base of the master cylinder, then refill with fresh fluid before bleeding. If there is a fair amount of air in the brake line, you may have to vacuum bleed the system (with a MityVac or similar tool). Bleeding brakes was always a mystery to me until I did it a few times, and then realized how straightforward it really is. Once I got all of the system bled, I installed speed bleeders so now I can bleed my system in just a few minutes per master cylinder, including the clutch.

that blue is always a very nice color for an ST1100.
Yeah I have always been reluctant to do it and would love to be there when it's done just to learn

OP
OP
Might consider using the wisdom and Articles in this forum, to do it yourself instead... besides saving money, it's straightforward and you'll become more familiar with your new ride.
Besides which, more and more dealers are refusing to work on older bikes, and when they / IF they do, there is no guarantee they do it correctly.
The bike looks good.
Thanks I think that I've got a good dealer but as you say the more I do myself the better I'll know the bike. Cheers

Top Bottom